PXE-E61 Nvidia boot agent error (with a twist) More options

I know there are literally dozens of threads regarding the boot agent
error "pxe-e61:media test failure check cable" however please bear
with me because this is a little different.

I actually WANT to network boot. I know usually when people post
about
this error it is their boot sequence set wrong or thier hard drive
that has failed. In my case the hard drive is fine and the network
cable and connection are both fine.

With the primary boot device set to Nvidia Boot Agent and the LAN
Boot
ROM enabled i am getting the media test failure error. As I said the
cable is definitely fine. Interestingly enough if I boot up with the
cable unplugged the boot agent will hang looking for the connection;
if I at this point plug the cable in the machine WILL start to
network
boot.

Does anyone have any idea why it would initially fail to detect the
connection or if there are any BIOS settings I might be overlooking
that need to be configured? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

  • Re: on-board LAN card problem
    ... the next step is to rule out a problem with the operating system ... Go to netbootdisk.com and follow the steps to create a network ... boot into the netbootdisk utility. ... can see "local area connection is now connected" with ethernet LED on ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
  • Re: XP Pro Slow Logon
    ... It can make a boot trace + driver delay calculation. ... I've resolved using the network driver included in Windows XP ... The problem occurs on the laptop. ... > dial up connection that is used just a few minutes a day. ...
  • Re: computer problem
    ... really have to be run at Startup. ... and you can't boot into Normal Mode to put ... aren't networking, the system wastes time during boot looking for network ... network adapter will list beneath that heading. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Speed Up PC
    ... really have to be run at Startup. ... and you can't boot into Normal Mode to put ... aren't networking, the system wastes time during boot looking for network ... network adapter will list beneath that heading. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • SCVHOST at 99%....laptop useless for at least 10 minutes
    ... Below is what is under the scvhost that is causing the issue each time I boot ... Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp. ... depend on it will fail to start. ... network and supplies this list to computers designated as browsers. ...