Re: Message that cable is unplugged for LAN.
- From: "Steve Winograd [MVP]" <bcmaven@xxxxxxxx>
- Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 08:49:35 -0700
In article <0D03C5E5-F3B5-40A8-B50D-9336EA1C16F0@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Kathy
When trying to reconnect to my home network, my computer says that a cable is
unplugged. I have checked all cables and there is no cable unplugged. I was
connected to other computers at one time but now cannot connect.
Don't take that message literally. It really means that XP can't
detect a live link to another device, such as a computer, hub, switch,
or router, on the other end of the cable. That could be for any of
1. The network cable really is unplugged.
2. The network cable is defective.
3. It's plugged in, but there's nothing connected to the other end.
4. It's plugged in and connected on both ends, but the device on the
other end isn't turned on.
5. The cable is the wrong type. Connecting two computers directly,
without a hub, switch, or router, requires a crossover cable. A
regular cable won't work.
6. The cable is connected to the uplink port on a hub, switch, or
router, instead of a regular port.
7. Some hubs, switches, and routers disable the port next to the
uplink port when the uplink port is in use.
8. The network card driver program isn't working right. Download and
install the latest XP-compatible driver from the manufacturer's web
9. The network card is configured to automatically sense speed and
duplex settings but isn't doing it correctly. Set those options
manually, as shown here:
10. The operating system is turning off the network card to save
power. Disable the power saving option in the network card's
properties, as shown here, even if you have a different network
adapter than mentioned in the article:
MSBBN: "A Network Cable Has Been Unplugged" Message Appears at
Seemingly Random Intervals
11. The network card is defective.
Steve Winograd, MS-MVP (Windows Networking)
Please post any reply as a follow-up message in the news group
for everyone to see. I'm sorry, but I don't answer questions
addressed directly to me in E-mail or news groups.
Microsoft Most Valuable Professional Program
- Prev by Date: Re: Connectivity with others
- Next by Date: Unable to ping server - connected to VPN
- Previous by thread: Re: Connectivity with others
- Next by thread: Unable to ping server - connected to VPN