Re: Problem login to LAN server

In news:82525A1B-EF78-4F2F-86DB-965E0BC6F302@xxxxxxxxxxxxx,
christopher <christopher@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> typed:
"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:

In news:57E8764A-D085-4CE4-87BC-1DC9BB267E82@xxxxxxxxxxxxx,
christopher <christopher@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> typed:

<snip>

In a workgroup, you need to create identical usernames & passwords
on the 'server' computer to match what is used on the clients. Do
you have a user called Joanna on the file server, with a password
that matches Joanna's on *her* computer? Create one....and see
whether the problem recurs.

Yes, indeed, Joanna has a log-in account on the server with a
password that matches hers on her laptop. I've successfully
logged-in over the LAN to her server account using a Mac laptop and
logged-in to her account locally, on the server itself, using the
very same username and password. This is why I believe the
username/password are functional on the file server. I've been
entering the same username and password v-e-r-y c-a-r-e-f-u-l-l-y
on the laptop. I can be logged-in as her on her XP laptop, and
mount the LAN share using _my_ username and password, but when I
try to mount the LAN share as Joanna, the Connect to... window
redraws with the computer name and a backslash inserted before her
username, over and over and over again. Other idea/s?

What are the permissions set on a) the share and b) the folder
(NTFS) on the server?

Thanks for the reply, Lanwench, this has been helpful. I found the
problem. Permissions were all good (771) for my purpose, but the
server needed to be told which users in the group are allowed to
connect by Samba and the new user's account wasn't among them. I have
clicked a check box and all is now well. Many many thanks for pushing
me to this conclusion.

Glad you got it fixed :)

  • Re: Outlook mobile email
    ... in e-mail advanced settings is the default set to "Delete messages from the server"? ... That works fine for syncing up email on my laptop to my phone. ... The Outlook E-Mail account is either for synching with the default "Inbox" account from Outlook on your PC, OR the default inbox on an Exchange Server, The predefined Outlook E-Mail account can't be setup for anything else. ... In these enlightened days of mobile e-mail, IMAP is generally a better mobile solution, since all of your devices "sync" with an e-mail server, so changes made on one device are reflected on the others. ...
    (microsoft.public.pocketpc)
  • Re: sbs2003 to (new)server2003 user issue
    ... You have not just add the "name" to ADUC, rightclick My Computer icon on the desktop, choose properties, go to network identification tab, here click properties and choose under Member of "Domain", fill in the domain name and a window will open asking you for an account from the domain with the password. ... This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. ... Laptop not/never part of the domain. ... sbs server dead sunday night. ...
  • Re: cant logon to my own computer
    ... noticed that it has a different username from the one used to access to SBS. ... laptop under your domain credentials, go to the management console, expend ... can right-click on any of the local accounts and reset the password. ... i could access to the server with no problem at this present time. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: cant open email
    ... only thing that needed to be changed/updated was the "Server Port Number". ... > username and password to try to get into my Outlook Express email. ... >> A likely reason for the username/password failing is account>> corruption. ... >> As a minimum, email scanning in the antivirus must be turned off, ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)
  • Re: cant open email
    ... only thing that needed to be changed/updated was the "Server Port ... > username and password to try to get into my Outlook Express email. ... >> A likely reason for the username/password failing is account>> corruption. ... >> As a minimum, email scanning in the antivirus must be turned off, ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)