Re: Help - my new laptop forgot login PW

I'm running XP Home. I have a second Administrator account named wxyz with a
PW of 1234 (examples).

I did boot into Safe mode and re-entered my original PW in my wxyz account.
I did this several times but Windows would still not let me log-in.

I finally decided to change the PW to something other then 1234 and then I
could log-in!!

Why did I have to change the PW?

TIA

"Malke" <notreally@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Jim wrote:

For some strange reason my new HP laptop forgot the Windows XP login.
I'm told there is a way to get around the login password but what is
it?

In XP Home, boot the computer into Safe Mode. Do this by repeatedly
tapping the F8 key as the computer is starting up. This will get you to
the right menu. Navigate using your Up arrow key; the mouse will not
work here. Once in Safe Mode, you will see the normally hidden
Administrator account. The default password is a blank.

In XP Pro, you do not need to go into Safe Mode. At the Welcome Screen,
do Ctrl-Alt-Del twice to get the classic Windows logon box. Type in
"Administrator" and whatever password you assigned when you set up
Windows.

If you reset the built-in Administrator account's password in Home or
have Pro and don't remember the password, use NTpasswd to change the
built-in Administrator account's password to a blank.

Then go to the User Accounts applet in Control Panel and set passwords
that you will remember and make other desired changes.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com