Re: Routing http using Windows XP

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

AJR wrote:
Question: Is it a "true" server (win 200 or 2003 server) or another XP you are referring to as a server?

It is a XP Pro SP2.

About "What I want to do is to give the IP of my Windows machine (10.1.1.2) to people to access my webpages." - access how - within a local network or via internet?

Within a local network.

"Larry" <larry_web@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:44685db4$0$16017$5a62ac22@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To add to it. I tried to start a web server at 10.1.1.2 and it worked. Just to confirm that the port 80 of 10.1.1.2 is actually accessible, not blocked by the firewall. Then I stopped the webserver at 10.1.1.2 and turned the forwarding on and expected the request will be then forwarded to 10.1.1.1. No luck.

Larry wrote:
I have a Windows XP SP2 (say, 10.1.1.2) and a web server (say, 10.1.1.1) on my network.

What I want to do is to give the IP of my Windows machine (10.1.1.2) to people to access my webpages.

So what I did is to configure my windows machine as a router for port 80 in Windows Firewall.

I set this from WindowsFirewall\Advanced\LocalAreaConnection\Settings\WebServer(HTTP)\NameOfIPaddress\ and set that address to 10.1.1.1.

What I expected is that if I access http://10.1.1.2/, it will be forwarded to 10.1.1.1.

However, it did not work.

When I access http://10.1.1.2/, I go the following message:

"The connection was refused when attempting to contact 10.1.1.2."

If I access http://10.1.1.1/ directly, it works. (Just to confirm the web server is running.)

I understood that the WindowsFirewall setting is to forward the request at port 80 to the new machine at 10.1.1.1:80.

What is the problem or my misunderstanding of the WindowsFirewall function?

Any help is appreciated.
Larry

.