Re: Network stops after time

Hi Sid,

For your current situation, if reset TCP/IP can help you resolve the issue.
I believe the issue should not be related to TCP/IP components in Windows
XP. From your description, it seems that the issue only occurs on the
Gateway setting. I suspect it may be related to the NIC or DSL modem. Could
you replace the problematic NIC to test the issue again?

If the problem persists, can you use IPCONFIG /Release or /Renew to restore
all IP configurations on the NIC?

In addition, have you installed the Service Pack 2 on the problematic
Windows XP machine? If not, I recommend you download and install the full
installation package of Windows XP Service Pack 2 from the following link:
<http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30
-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en>

I have found the following articles that may be helpful:
814155: How to use Ping.exe to check your Microsoft Broadband Network
Adapter
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;814155

833434: Default gateway and static route settings lost when you use the
IPCONFIG /SETCLASSID command
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;833434

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Partner Support

Newsgroup Web Interface Upgrade
Please complete a one-time registration process on your first visit to the
Partner Portal beginning July 11, 2005 at 9 A.M. PST by entering the secure
code mspp2005 when prompted. This secure code will be valid for 6 months
after which you will need to update your registration by entering the new
secure code. We will post announcements in the newsgroups prior to
expiration. Once you have entered the secure code mspp2005 , you will be
able to update your profile and access the the partner newsgroups. Please
update your Favorites link to the newsgroups web page, your current link
will redirect until November 1, 2005.
Please post any comment, questions or concerns to the
microsoft.private.directaccess.partnerfeedback newsgroup. For more
information, please go to:
https://partner.microsoft.com/global/technicalsupport/registeredsupport/4001
4662

--------------------
| From: "Sid Price" <nobody@xxxxxxxxxxx>
| Subject: Re: Network stops after time
| Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 09:38:14 -0600
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web
|
| Thank you for your input. I do not have a replacement modem to
substitute. I
| have performed the IP reset procedure and the failure persists. Any other
| suggestions would be much appreciated.
|
| Sid.
|
| --
| Sid Price's Software Tools.
| http://www.Softtools.com
|
| "Ken Zhao [MSFT]" <v-kzhao@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
| > Hello Sid,
| >
| > Thank you for using newsgroup!
| >
| > After reviewing the thread, to narrow down the issue, I would like to
| > provide you with my suggestions for your reference:
| >
| > Suggestion1.
| > ================
| > To narrow the root cause of the issue, please temporarily remove the NIC
| > for a small development network.
| >
| > Suggestion2.
| > ================
| > If possible, please move the problematic NIC to other slots to see if
the
| > issue still occurs.
| >
| > Suggestion3.
| > ================
| > When the issue occurs, please double-confirm if the problematic NIC have
| > gained proper IP (IP address, Gateway, DNS server etc.). If you have not
| > gained those IP addresses, I will suggest you temporarily replace the
DSL
| > modem to see if the issue still occurs.
| >
| > Suggestion4.
| > ================
| > If the problem only occurs on the specific Windows XP machine, also you
| > may
| > follow these steps to reset TCP/IP in Windows XP.
| >
| > WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious
| > problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system.
| > Microsoft
| > cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using
| > Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk. Use
| > Registry Editor to delete the Winsock and Winsock2 registry entries,
then
| > reinstall TCP/IP.
| >
| > Delete the Corrupted Registry Entries
| > 1. Click "Start", and then click "Run".
| > 2. In the "Open" box, type "regedit" (without the quotation marks), and
| > then click "OK".
| > 3. In Registry Editor, expand
| > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services, right-click
| > "Winsock", and then click "Delete". When you are prompted to confirm the
| > deletion, click "Yes".
| > 4. Right-click "Winsock2", click "Delete", and then click "Yes".
| >
| > Install TCP/IP on the computer
| > 1. In Control Panel, double-click "Network Connections", right-click
| > "Local
| > Area Connection", and then click "Properties".
| > 2. Click "Install".
| > 3. In the "Select Network Component Type" dialog box, click "Protocol",
| > and
| > then click "Add".
| > 4. Click on Have Disk.
| > 5. Then type in the Copy files from box "c:\windows\inf", click OK. DO
NOT
| > browse to this directory.
| > 6. Under "Network Protocol", click "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)", and
then
| > click "OK".
| > 7. When the protocol is installed, click "Close".
| > 8. Restart the computer.
| >
| > Reset TCP/IP on a Windows XP Computer
| >
| > In Windows XP, the TCP/IP stack is a core component of the operating
| > system; therefore, you cannot remove TCP/IP in Windows XP. In Windows
XP,
| > reset command is available in the IP context of the NetShell utility.
When
| > this command is run, it rewrites pertinent registry keys that are used
by
| > the TCP/IP stack. This generates the same result as the removal and the
| > reinstallation of the protocol.
| > To reset TCP/IP, follow these steps:
| > 1. Open a command prompt.
| > 2. Type "netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt" (without the quotation marks),
| > and then press ENTER.
| >
| > 299357: How to reset Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) in Windows XP
| > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;299357
| >
| > Hope the information helps!
| >
| > Thanks & Regards,
| >
| > Ken Zhao
| >
| > Microsoft Online Partner Support
| >
| > =====================================================
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
| > =====================================================
| > rights.
| >
| > Newsgroup Web Interface Upgrade
| > Please complete a one-time registration process on your first visit to
the
| > Partner Portal beginning July 11, 2005 at 9 A.M. PST by entering the
| > secure
| > code mspp2005 when prompted. This secure code will be valid for 6 months
| > after which you will need to update your registration by entering the
new
| > secure code. We will post announcements in the newsgroups prior to
| > expiration. Once you have entered the secure code mspp2005 , you will be
| > able to update your profile and access the the partner newsgroups.
Please
| > update your Favorites link to the newsgroups web page, your current link
| > will redirect until November 1, 2005.
| > Please post any comment, questions or concerns to the
| > microsoft.private.directaccess.partnerfeedback newsgroup. For more
| > information, please go to:

https://partner.microsoft.com/global/technicalsupport/registeredsupport/4001
| > 4662
| >

| > --------------------
| > | From: "Sid Price" <nobody@xxxxxxxxxxx>
| > | Subject: Network stops after time
| > | Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2005 10:37:28 -0600
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web
| > |
| > | I just installed QWest DSL and their installation wizard (or use of
the
| > XP
| > | network wizard) has really screwed up my network interface. I have XP
| > Pro
| > | (all service packs/patches), two NICs, one for my home office network
| > and
| > | one for a small development network of embedded devices. The home
office
| > NIC
| > | is the one the DSL modem is attached to. Other computers do not seem
| > have
| > | the same issue, they are still set exactly how they were to run with
the
| > |
| > | I ran the CD installer on my PC and it never worked. I ended up
calling
| > | QWest and getting help to do a manual installation. All seemed to work
| > fine
| > | except that after some time (not sure how long or if inactivity is the
| > key)
| > | my PC has no connection to the internet. IE reports a server not
found
| > or
| > | DNS error and Outlook can not connect to the mail server. If I disable
| > the
| > | NIC and then re-enable it all is well again.
| > |
| > | Can anyone give me some pointers as to what is going on here and maybe
| > how
| > | to fix it.
| > |
| > | Thanks,