Re: Client PCs have difficulty browsing Host fine, Dial-up ICS

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 12:55:06 -0700, etheldred
<etheldred@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>I work for a small museum which relies on donated equipment and donated
>dial-up ISP. So currently we have 5 pcs(Win 98SE and XP Pro) networked
>sharing a Dial up connection through the modem of the host computer (XP
>Pro). Lately we have had problems browsing and sending/receiving emails. It
>is a frequent, but as far as I can tell, random occurance. When you type in
>a URL, click a link, or try to send/receive email, it many times cannot find
>the server with client computers(site not found error) It usually takes the
>computer only a second or two to determine it cannot find the site. A
>refresh or retype etc, will eventually get you where you need to be.
>
>This happens at random, it doesnt matter if it is the first url or the
>fifth, nor does it matter what site you go to, (although some of the more
>complex sites it will often half load) nor how long you have been idle or
>active. I estimate it happens about half the time. (For example this is
>about the third time I have tried to post this message)
>
>The dial up connection is connected, and the host computer does not have any
>problems browsing. I have tried getting rid of malware, I have even bypassed
>the hubs and directly connected just one client to the host via crossover
>cable, but with no changes of frequency. Sharing files or printers does not
>seem to be a problem, and there is no problem printing from the network
>printer, and pinging results in no packet loss.
>
>Can anyone think of anything else I could try? Thanks

If the host has no problem with the same URLs, I'd bet the MTU setting is the
problem.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/06/internet-connectivity-problems-caused.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/06/internet-connectivity-problems-caused.html

Also, check the DNS server settings in "ipconfig /all", compare host and
clients.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/reading-ipconfig-and-diagnosing.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/reading-ipconfig-and-diagnosing.html

--
Cheers,
Chuck, MS-MVP [Windows - Networking]

  • Re: Do I Have A Firewalled LAN Run By ISP In Between?
    ... from that host while at host ... running a layer within a layer, with a complex network address translation ... application called "Internet Connection Sharing". ... what those packets are for, ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Clients Network internet connection?
    ... Host PC connects to internet okay, ... Checked all network connections, cables been checked as ... Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection: ... or behaviour of each light (or set of lights). ...
  • Re: Clients Network internet connection?
    ... Host PC connects to internet okay, ... Checked all network connections, cables been checked as ... Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection: ... or behaviour of each light (or set of lights). ...
  • Re: Clients Network internet connection?
    ... Host PC connects to internet okay, ... Checked all network connections, cables been checked as ... Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection: ... or behaviour of each light (or set of lights). ...
  • Re: Big hole??
    ... supposedly safe SP2 for Windows XP invites any Internet user to have a look around your PC. ... printer sharing data are visible worldwide, ... Internet Connection Sharing of the PC has to be disabled. ... network at home: Often, we did not even encounter password protection. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)