New computer has stolen control of network

Tuesday Eve

Mixed OS network: 2 - XP pro( sp1, sp2), 2 - 98se.

The network has been working fine for years.

My main computer is not using Simple File Sharing.

I added a new XP pro sp2 box, using Simple File sharing.

All works fine.

BUT, when this new computer is powered-OFF the local network is not available, including printers.

AND when the new computer is ON the Computer Browser Service stops on my main computer.

I am more than just annoyed.

Both computers are running NAV 2005.

When the new computer was first connected I had disabled the Windows Firewall Service (among others I do not want running for no
reason). But this stopped the network as well.

Help please.

  • RE: Remote Access
    ... sure how it works if there is a mixture of OSon a workgrouup network. ... there is a Home OS on a Workgroup, that Simple File Sharing has to be used as ... the face of shares and resources on stand alone workstantions. ... privleges the Guest Account provides, ...
  • Re: Cannot access share (error 5)
    ... "Chuck" wrote: ... Ran Network setup wizard on both machines (connect to internet ... I can access the laptop shares through the desktop & get the error ... If XP Pro, is Simple File Sharing enabled, or if Advanced File Sharing, are you ...
  • RE: Remote Access
    ... sure how it works if there is a mixture of OSon a workgrouup network. ... there is a Home OS on a Workgroup, that Simple File Sharing has to be used as ... the face of shares and resources on stand alone workstantions. ... privleges the Guest Account provides, ...
  • Re: Windows XP; Windows 98 & Windows NT 4.0 compatability
    ... >3) ICF is DISABLED on the XP Machines ... >4) I'm not quite sure what you mean on file sharing. ... >obviously I can see the XP machines on the 98 Network ... Windows XP is the latest attempt to merge the Windows 9x product line ...