Re: Can't network two WinXP Machines

Hi Chuck
I turned off the winme machine and created a new network under a new name
with the Gateway, and Dell machines (both are winxp). The Gateway machine
sees only itself in the network. The Dell machine gives the "accessed
denied" message when I try to look at the network from the Dell machine.

I am now going through your Troubleshooting Network Neighborhood paper and
will be back.

Thanks again for your help.
Allen

"Chuck" wrote:

> On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 21:31:01 -0700, "Allen" <Allen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>

> >Thanks for the quick reply, Chuck. I suspected the winme machine too. So I
> >turned off it's power, shouldn't that resolve any problem of mixing xp and me?
> >I'd like to delete the network and start over with the two xp machines only,
> >but I can't find a way to delete a network. Any ideas on that?
> >
> >I've noticed that when I click "start" there is no "My network places" line
> >on the Dell. The Gateway has that line. I thought I might need to install
> >more of windows but that didn't change anything.
> > Allen
>
> Allen,
>
> When you change anything involving the browser, it can take as long as 51
> minutes to automatically show up on every computer. You can hasten any changes
> showing up, if you restart all computers, after you disable / enable the browser
> as necessary.
>
> Don't power anything off, that won't tell you anything. But read the articles,
> and follow their instruction:
> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/windows-9x-9598me-and-browser.html>
> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/04/nt-browser-or-why-cant-i-always-see.html>
> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/troubleshooting-network-neighborhood.html>
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Chuck, MS-MVP [Windows - Networking]
> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
> My email is AT DOT
> actual address pchuck mvps org.

  • Shocker!!! "Chuck" and "Dollhouse" both renewed for another season...
    ... NBC renews 'Chuck'! ... The network picked up 13 episodes of the series from Warner Bros., ... Fans pushed NBC very hard for a pickup, launching a "Save Chuck" ... Surprise: Fox RENEWS 'Dollhouse' ...
    (rec.sport.pro-wrestling)
  • Re: [SLE] connection redundancy
    ... which is the router just this side of the ... >>because it's own gateway is still up. ... You'll also need three network cards to put into this Linux box. ... your internal LAN can route packets to the Internet. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Cant access secure Web pages
    ... and which need to be contacted via the Default Gateway. ... The Default Gateway being the software process that does the network ... Gateway (as set up by your ISP's DHCP packet to the router), ... me so I can send it directly (to the MAC address discovered by ARP). ...
    (uk.comp.sys.mac)
  • Re: Cannot access share (error 5)
    ... "Chuck" wrote: ... Ran Network setup wizard on both machines (connect to internet ... I can access the laptop shares through the desktop & get the error ... If XP Pro, is Simple File Sharing enabled, or if Advanced File Sharing, are you ...