Re: Hide PC in Peer to Peer WORKGROUP

In article <e3vyzvffFHA.1284@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Mark Flynn"
<flynn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>I have a "finance" PC that's part of a peer to peer network. This PC and
>it's "My Documents" files are viewable from other PC's.
>Question ?
>Can I hide this PC by just changing it's workgroup name?

No. Workgroups don't provide any type of security or access control.
A computer in any workgroup can access a computer in any workgroup.

>What's the best
>way for me to take this PC out of the loop?
>All PC's are running Windows XP Pro.

See Lanwench's reply for good suggestions.

--
Best Wishes,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

  • Re: Workgroup printer connection
    ... >Im trying to share a printer in a workgroup. ... When it searches for network ... Both systems are running Windows XP ... Please post any reply as a follow-up message in the news group ...
  • Re: Network Neighborhood
    ... > inability to browse by using Network Neighborhood in Windows 95 or Windows ... > communicated effectively with the other workgroup computers. ... > not have a common networking protocol, a common workgroup, and common user ... the computer that is running Windows ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.networking)
  • Re: XP Home Edition computer unable to connect to shared files
    ... >Have a small problem with a peer to peer network. ... >System error 6118 has occured ... >The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available. ... Ron, ...
  • Re: Printing from OS X to Windows shared printer
    ... >> I have a small peer to peer network. ... >> Is it possible to share that printer and have the Powerbook print to it? ... >> tried to add the printer in OS X and went to the Windows Printer option, ... >> then Nework and Workgroup, which is the workgroup that it is on, but the ...
    (microsoft.public.macintosh.general)
  • Re: Problem connecting an XP Pro SP2 machine to a workgroup
    ... >I can't seem to get a simple 3-computer workgroup to work at my new office. ... >network resource. ... I've replied by E-mail, as you requested, and in the news group. ... TCP/IP and NBT Configuration Parameters for Windows XP ...