Re: Internet problems..

From: Chuck (none_at_example.net)
Date: 11/11/04

Date: 11 Nov 2004 00:19:09 -0600

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 21:45:01 -0800, "Travous"
<Travous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have a laptop with a dial up connection and XP home. The modem dials in and
>connects no problems but I cannot do anything with the internet. IE kepps
>telling me that it can't open the search page and then come up with the DNS
>error page. I have tried WinsokXPfix, AdAware, LSPfix, search and destroy and
>Stinger (It found a few worms and removed them) Now when it connects the
>status box shows 0 packets sent and 0 packets received, no matter how long it
>is connected. I do not have my recovery disks yet (the store lost them so
>they are on order) so I cannot reinstall anything either.
>This is driving me crazy so any help would be great.
>Ta

Find out the scope of the problem, please. When "connected", from a command
window:
1) Ping www.yahoo.com.
2) Ping 66.94.230.33.
Report success / exact text of error messages.
>From your browser:
3) Browse www.yahoo.com.
4) Browse 66.94.230.33.
Report success / exact text of error messages.

>From the registry editor, examine registry key
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters], value
DatabasePath. Normal value is "%SystemRoot%\System32\drivers\etc". If any
other value, it may indicate the remain of a hosts file hijack.

Search your entire system drive, including hidden and system folders, for file
"hosts". There is one legit copy, in C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\ (for
Windows NT/2000/XP, for instance). The others are possibly bogus, and part (but
just part) of the problem.

AdAware and Spybot S&D are not the only tools for diagnosing your problem. You
also need HijackThis, and expert advice.
HijackThis <http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=3155>

Download HijackThis. Create a new folder C:\HijackThis, and copy it there.

Run HijackThis ("Scan"). Do NOT make any changes immediately. Save the HJT
Log.
<http://forums.spywareinfo.com/index.php?showtopic=227>
<http://forums.spywareinfo.com/index.php?showtopic=11150>

Finally, have your HJT log interpreted by experts at one or more of the
following security forums (and please post a link to your forum posts, here):
Aumha: <http://forum.aumha.org/index.php>
Net-Integration: <http://forums.net-integration.net/>
Spyware Info: <http://forums.spywareinfo.com/>
Spyware Warrior: <http://spywarewarrior.com/index.php>
Tom Coyote: <http://forums.tomcoyote.org/>

Cheers,

Cheers,
Chuck

  • Re: IE 6 error
    ... The "unknown" factors in error messages created in this manner often mean ... you have a hijacker, malware, spyware or parasites on your system causing ... Download the newest version of HiJackThis here: ... Also be sure to use the HijackThis. ...
  • Re: Internet Explorer Problems
    ... > description of the error messages and problems. ... Download Spybot and Adaware from the following locations and install them. ... Fixing enties with Hijackthis may leave behind unwanted files on your ... Source for Original Content, Tutorials, and Support for the beginning ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • Re: Explorer.exe - Application Error
    ... How do I view the error messages registered in Event Log?: ... Download HijackThis from www.majorgeeks.com. ... Windows XP Shell/User ... I can open any folder at all. ...
  • Re: security problem? - spw9a message
    ... If neither AdAware or Spybot S&D provide results, try HijackThis. ... following security forums (and post a link to your forum posts, ... Spyware Info: ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.general)
  • Re: security problem? - spw9a message
    ... If neither AdAware or Spybot S&D provide results, try HijackThis. ... following security forums (and post a link to your forum posts, ... Spyware Info: ...
    (alt.computer.security)