Re: Internet problems..

From: Chuck (
Date: 11/11/04

Date: 11 Nov 2004 00:19:09 -0600

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 21:45:01 -0800, "Travous"
<> wrote:

>I have a laptop with a dial up connection and XP home. The modem dials in and
>connects no problems but I cannot do anything with the internet. IE kepps
>telling me that it can't open the search page and then come up with the DNS
>error page. I have tried WinsokXPfix, AdAware, LSPfix, search and destroy and
>Stinger (It found a few worms and removed them) Now when it connects the
>status box shows 0 packets sent and 0 packets received, no matter how long it
>is connected. I do not have my recovery disks yet (the store lost them so
>they are on order) so I cannot reinstall anything either.
>This is driving me crazy so any help would be great.

Find out the scope of the problem, please. When "connected", from a command
1) Ping
2) Ping
Report success / exact text of error messages.
>From your browser:
3) Browse
4) Browse
Report success / exact text of error messages.

>From the registry editor, examine registry key
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters], value
DatabasePath. Normal value is "%SystemRoot%\System32\drivers\etc". If any
other value, it may indicate the remain of a hosts file hijack.

Search your entire system drive, including hidden and system folders, for file
"hosts". There is one legit copy, in C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\ (for
Windows NT/2000/XP, for instance). The others are possibly bogus, and part (but
just part) of the problem.

AdAware and Spybot S&D are not the only tools for diagnosing your problem. You
also need HijackThis, and expert advice.
HijackThis <>

Download HijackThis. Create a new folder C:\HijackThis, and copy it there.

Run HijackThis ("Scan"). Do NOT make any changes immediately. Save the HJT

Finally, have your HJT log interpreted by experts at one or more of the
following security forums (and please post a link to your forum posts, here):
Aumha: <>
Net-Integration: <>
Spyware Info: <>
Spyware Warrior: <>