Re: Internet problems..

From: Chuck (none_at_example.net)
Date: 11/11/04

Date: 11 Nov 2004 00:19:09 -0600

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 21:45:01 -0800, "Travous"
<Travous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have a laptop with a dial up connection and XP home. The modem dials in and
>connects no problems but I cannot do anything with the internet. IE kepps
>telling me that it can't open the search page and then come up with the DNS
>error page. I have tried WinsokXPfix, AdAware, LSPfix, search and destroy and
>Stinger (It found a few worms and removed them) Now when it connects the
>status box shows 0 packets sent and 0 packets received, no matter how long it
>is connected. I do not have my recovery disks yet (the store lost them so
>they are on order) so I cannot reinstall anything either.
>This is driving me crazy so any help would be great.
>Ta

Find out the scope of the problem, please. When "connected", from a command
window:
1) Ping www.yahoo.com.
2) Ping 66.94.230.33.
Report success / exact text of error messages.
>From your browser:
3) Browse www.yahoo.com.
4) Browse 66.94.230.33.
Report success / exact text of error messages.

>From the registry editor, examine registry key
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters], value
DatabasePath. Normal value is "%SystemRoot%\System32\drivers\etc". If any
other value, it may indicate the remain of a hosts file hijack.

Search your entire system drive, including hidden and system folders, for file
"hosts". There is one legit copy, in C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\ (for
Windows NT/2000/XP, for instance). The others are possibly bogus, and part (but
just part) of the problem.

AdAware and Spybot S&D are not the only tools for diagnosing your problem. You
also need HijackThis, and expert advice.
HijackThis <http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=3155>

Download HijackThis. Create a new folder C:\HijackThis, and copy it there.

Run HijackThis ("Scan"). Do NOT make any changes immediately. Save the HJT
Log.
<http://forums.spywareinfo.com/index.php?showtopic=227>
<http://forums.spywareinfo.com/index.php?showtopic=11150>

Finally, have your HJT log interpreted by experts at one or more of the
following security forums (and please post a link to your forum posts, here):
Aumha: <http://forum.aumha.org/index.php>
Net-Integration: <http://forums.net-integration.net/>
Spyware Info: <http://forums.spywareinfo.com/>
Spyware Warrior: <http://spywarewarrior.com/index.php>