Re: fixed ip or automatic?

From: Sooner Al (SoonerAl_at_somewhere.net.invalid)
Date: 06/15/04

Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 09:35:05 -0500

Well, personally I see no reason to use DHCP assigned IP on a fixed PC, particularly on a small home
LAN. I have my home LAN setup like yours, ie. wireless/guest devices get a DHCP assigned IP address
while my two fixed desktops have static IP addresses...

http://members.cox.net/ajarvi/LAN/The_Illustrated_Network.html

--
    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
"Owen" <owen@rpm1.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message news:u0wea3sUEHA.2944@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> On my home network i have 3 pc's. 2 wireless which connect to a WAP. The wap
> connects to my 3rd computer. My network works fine at the moment with the 2
> wireless computers having automatic ip address' being assigned by the dhcp.
> the computer that is connected to the wap point has a fixed ip address. I
> have an internet connection sharing. When i change the computer with the wap
> point to an automatic ip, that computer cannot access the network. Also is
> it best to have all of the computers on automatic ip's or fixed ip's that
> will enable internet connection sharing.
> Any ideas? Help would be greatly appreciated.
> Many Thanks
> Owen

---

  • fixed ip or automatic?
    ... On my home network i have 3 pc's. ... wireless which connect to a WAP. ... wireless computers having automatic ip address' being assigned by the dhcp. ... will enable internet connection sharing. ...
  • Re: fixed ip or automatic?
    ... connect to a WAP. ... > point to an automatic ip, that computer cannot access the network. ... > will enable internet connection sharing. ... and DHCP server address as well before anything would work. ...
  • Re: Wireless access point
    ... Maybe a quick test berfore changing network IP would be to set WAP as DHCP ... It would help to know if when you went to your test SBS server did ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: New thread, broadcom 802-11 related
    ... On Tuesday 18 April 2006 18:53, Neil Cherry wrote: ... The MAC address is not a real WAP (at least I don't think they ... /sbin/iwconfig ${WLAN} channel $ ...
    (Fedora)
  • [fw-wiz] Re: Wireless
    ... somewhat limited when it comes to a national or international network. ... started toying with the 'wired' side looking at the WAP MAC addresses. ... this area on the Cisco network. ...
    (Firewall-Wizards)