Re: fixed ip or automatic?

From: Sooner Al (SoonerAl_at_somewhere.net.invalid)
Date: 06/15/04

Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 09:35:05 -0500

Well, personally I see no reason to use DHCP assigned IP on a fixed PC, particularly on a small home
LAN. I have my home LAN setup like yours, ie. wireless/guest devices get a DHCP assigned IP address
while my two fixed desktops have static IP addresses...

http://members.cox.net/ajarvi/LAN/The_Illustrated_Network.html

--
    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
"Owen" <owen@rpm1.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message news:u0wea3sUEHA.2944@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> On my home network i have 3 pc's. 2 wireless which connect to a WAP. The wap
> connects to my 3rd computer. My network works fine at the moment with the 2
> wireless computers having automatic ip address' being assigned by the dhcp.
> the computer that is connected to the wap point has a fixed ip address. I
> have an internet connection sharing. When i change the computer with the wap
> point to an automatic ip, that computer cannot access the network. Also is
> it best to have all of the computers on automatic ip's or fixed ip's that
> will enable internet connection sharing.
> Any ideas? Help would be greatly appreciated.
> Many Thanks
> Owen

---