Re: Home networking.

From: pobrien32 (pat_at_patobrien'YoUrPaNtS'.co.uk)
Date: 05/08/04

Date: Sat, 8 May 2004 11:43:26 +0100

Hi Chuck,

Thanks for the advice, or should I say reminder!!! I've just rebuilt all
three PC's and did have address munging setup beforehand.

All 3 machines did have winME on them, so networking them and ICS was a
doddle!!!
I never got around to using any variant of win2000 and I obviuoulsy can only
install winxp on one machine only.
I'm liking both OS's greatly, so much more robust and reliable than previous
incantations of windows.

Anyway, enough of my waffling..............................

I've printed out the couple of parargaphs you have sent, and am going to
obtain the info shortly.

I'll post later on this afternoon.

Many thanks once again.

Regards,

Pat.

"Chuck" <none@example.net> wrote in message
> On Fri, 7 May 2004 22:29:32 +0100, "pobrien32" <*email_address_deleted*>
wrote:

> >Hi,
> >
> >I have winxp home on 1 pc, and win 2000 pro on 2 more.
> >
> >I have the xp machine plugged into a linksys befsr41 broadband modem.
> >
> >The 2 pc's with win2000 pro are also plugged in to the router (albeit
> >different areas of the house) and can access the internet.
> >
> >However, even though they are connected through the router, I cannot see
the
> >pc's when I open my network places.
> >
> >Any and all help would be most appreciated.
> >
> >Regards,
> >
> >Pat.
>
> Pat,
>
> Are all 3 pcs in the same workgroup?
>
> Do any of the computers have a software firewall (ICF or third party)? If
so,
> you need to configure them for file sharing, by opening ports TCP 139, 445
and
> UDP 137, 138, 445, and / or by identifying the other computers as present
in the
> Local (Trusted) zone. Firewall configurations are a very common cause of
> (network) browser, and file sharing, problems.
>
> Please provide ipconfig information for each computer.
> Start - Run - "cmd". Type "ipconfig /all >c:\ipconfig.txt" into the
command
> window - Open c:\ipconfig.txt in Notepad, copy and paste into your next
post.

> And Pat, please don't contribute to the spread of email address mining
viruses.
> Learn to munge your email address properly, to keep yourself a bit safer
when
> posting to open forums. Protect yourself and the rest of the internet -
never
> post your address unmunged.
> http://www.mailmsg.com/SPAM_munging.htm
>
> Cheers,
> Chuck
> Paranoia comes from experience - and is not necessarily a bad thing.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: rdesktop woes
    ... is checking your firewall / software firewall on all the machines. ... What are "network acls"? ... Registered Linux User #1232 ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: recommendation Firewalls
    ... >network despite the fact that I've even configured manually and can ... >the other machines successfully. ... router in addition to a software firewall. ... almost completely useless for outbound protection and have no external ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: recommendation Firewalls
    ... >network despite the fact that I've even configured manually and can ... >the other machines successfully. ... router in addition to a software firewall. ... almost completely useless for outbound protection and have no external ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: DO I HAVE A TROJAN?
    ... >I do some the things to harden Win 2k machines on my network. ... >How can you have a software firewall and not have AV system. ... If you'd like to see how poorly The Cleaner and NOD32 are in catching trojans, ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Can find Vista box, cant share folders or printers.
    ... When I click 'Network' on the laptop the ... I've disabled Norton and Windows firewall entirely to make sure that's not ... public folder sharing - on ... start by running the Network Setup Wizard on all machines (see ...