Re: Preserving DV Quality: NTSC and AV-DVI

Your PC is above the low spec, but slightly lower than the recommended spec for MM. This means it is marginal. Even hi spec machines can run into trouble...it depends what else is running - ie what MM/Nero is actually competing with. It also depends on how complex (and how many) effects/transitions are applied.

That realplayer when playing is ok doesnt actually surprise me.....it needs less resources as it is playing without any adjustment of the movie. Even with no effect added playing from the timeline in MM can be expected to have some overheads due to MM being an editor rather than a player.

Even a simple effect moves MM utilisation on my 1.7 GHZ from 40% to 70% and uses significant RAM.

I am running MM on a 1.7 GHZ P4 with 1 GB of RAM....the top 512 is very seldom used by anything so it will certainly run fine on my spec machine.

It would be useful to get the experience of others in this group on low end machines.

Without seeing your pc it is difficult to help but I believe the best you can do is to ensure the PC is running as effectively as possible - I remember there are past posts on this group about some techniques. The ones I use are:

1. Minimise the applications and services that the software is competing with
(ie shut down unwanted services that may be using RAM or competing for CPU cycles.

An example site is http://www.jasonn.com/turning_off_unnecessary_services_on_windows_xp

I would only turn off the services you are very comfortable (eg if you don't have any wireless then turning off the wireless config services is ok). Some people have recommended turning off the virus scanner while working with MM - I don't do this myself (as I am always on line and will actually do other things while my movies are rendering _ though others would also recommend against this.

Dont run other applications at the same time. ie don't rune explorer or mail (or news :-))

2. Defragment your drives if you havent already done this. Keep them defragmented with sufficient space to allow the AVI's to be stored as a contiguos file.

3. If you have the space try the AVI on your IDE drive - you don't need to store them there permanently....only while actually editing - the transfer rate of USB 2.0 is at best about 1/4 that of IDE/ata -100 and while IDE frequently approaches its specified performance, the same is not always true for USB. It may be that this is a straw breaking a camels back.

I'm sorry I cant help any more than this but let me know how you get on.

Another more radical alternative is to follow in the path of your namesakes :-).

Rob

luddite wrote:
Thanks for the post, Rob.

I am capturing the video with a firewire connection, and my laptop is connected to the external drive through a USB 2.0 port.

The captured video plays perfectly in Real Player, so I doubt the problem resides with the AVI file itself. When I try to edit it in MM (and Nero Vision Express 3) I run into problems because the video is either choppy or lags the audio. In MM, the video will sometimes not advance or it will display video clips from several scenes prior. It makes me think that somehow my computer lacks the capacity to edit AVI files, regardless of the editing software package used.

I have 512 RAM and a Pentium 1.4 Centrino processor, which I would think would be enough...

"eeyore <"rob.pugh"@" <" wrote:

Hi Luddite
You may be experiencing performance problems due to the drive connection being USB rather than SATA or IDE.
Is there any reason why you dont use MM? Once the files are saved as DV-AVI you can use MM to create a movie from them.

Robdispla

luddite wrote:

Thanks for the advice. I have bookmarked the posts so that I can refer to them as I continue to make home movies.

Since the post I invested in some hardware and now have the resources to capture video in AVI Type II format.

I wasn't able to store captured video on my external drive using MM. The default was my C: drive and I couldn't locate where to change this. I tried using Nero 6, which allows me to direct the captured AVI file to my roomy external drive.

My current problem is that the movie editing software for Nero (Nero Vision Express 3) doesn't play the captured video continuously. Thus, as I play the video and decide where to split frames, the video shows still frames every second or so. Audio, however, plays continuously. I didn't have this problem in MM.

.