Re: Custom profile question

From: csaagp (csaagp_at_discussions.microsoft.com)
Date: 12/06/04

Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 07:47:12 -0800

Thanks for that very detialed response.

"John Kelly" wrote:

> Hello there,
>
> "csaagp" <csaagp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I was able to make a custom profile, but I have some questions.
> >
> > My goal is to take a series of different sized JPEG images from a 3.1 mp
> > digital camera, and generate a NTSC DVD slideshow to be played on the TV.
> > Top
> > priority is quality of picture.
> > Disk space is not an issue.
> >
> > I'm using TmpgEnc to encode the WMM 2 output into mpeg2 format.
> >
> > For video size - Since I have a series of different sized photos taken
> > from
> > a 3.1 mp dig camera should I set size to 720x480 or 'same as video input'?
> > have a lot of pictures, so editing all of them to make them all same sized
> > is
> > not an option.
>
> Thats a pity, the only way to maintain the highest possible quality is
> to crop and resize. Crop to desired ratio...note I say ratio not number of
> pixels. Then resize using any program other than Movie Maker. Movie Maker
> does not do a very good job of doing this as described in here previously by
> one of the team members that created Movie Maker.
>
> If your target is DVD using NTSC then step 2 above will be resize so
> that the height will be 480. The width takes care of itself because of the
> crop to required ratio.
>
> Whatrever you do...DO NOT RESIZE TO SOMETHING LIKE 800 x 600 or any
> other computer screen size...there is no relationship between the number of
> pixels on a computer screen to those require by a DVD...this was also
> discussed in this newsgroup previously when REHAN was corrected by the same
> team member from Microsoft
>
> > Key Fram/Buff size - are the default values ok for a picture slideshow?
>
> I would think they were more than adequate, even if you have some
> effects/transitions. Personaly, I have played with those settings a few
> times and never found any difference no matter what I set them to.....at the
> end of the day, if you set the bitrate to high then the keyframe will come
> into play forcing the image to catch up...causing a small jump in the
> picture...if that happens a lot then it would suggest you have to high a
> bitrate.
>
> > Vid Bit Rate - If I choose CBR, would it make sense to use the same
> > bitrate
> > that I use in TmpgEnc when encoding it to MPeg2 (e.g. 8000 kbps; would a
> > higher bit rate just be wasting time/space)? I tried using 'uncompressed'
> > but
> > TmpgEnc wouldn't read in the resultant WMV file (although it didn't have
> > any
> > problems with other WMV files)
>
> I always use VBR with a maximum of 8,000 and an average of 7500kb/s
>
> > I also tried saving it in DV-AVI, but the output was noticably blurry -
> > couldn't be a player issue as it was just as blurry after encoding to
> > mpeg2.

> [...]

Relevant Pages

  • Re: best save setting to fit >1hr video on DVD
    ... I downloaded the profile and it's ready to go. ... I doubt it will even come close to replacing DVD ... set at 'superior quality VBR'. ... Since you put the ''13'' different clips into Movie Maker to add titles ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.moviemaker)
  • Re: Custom profile question
    ... and generate a NTSC DVD slideshow to be played on the TV. ... Then resize using any program other than Movie Maker. ... pixels on a computer screen to those require by a DVD...this was also ... if you set the bitrate to high then the keyframe will come ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.moviemaker)
  • Re: VideoRedo, Actually Change Video and Audio Bit Rate
    ... The free tmpgenc works on the ... > from the mpeg-2 to the reduced quality. ... > lowest quality I can get and play it in a DVD player is what? ... The higher the bitrate used to encode the MPEG, ...
    (rec.video.desktop)
  • Re: Windows XP Pro - No HighMAT Format
    ... Movie Maker 2 is fine. ... DVD for much better quality display on your TV you will then need a DVD ... solution for creating a TV viewable slideshow of photos? ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.photos)
  • Re: LiveTV Picture Quality
    ... > We put together an MCE box with the 250MCE Card from Hauppage in it. ... DVD Quality for sure. ... >> Is their a way to enlarge the Bitrate? ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)