Re: Custom profile question

From: csaagp (
Date: 12/06/04

Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 07:47:12 -0800

Thanks for that very detialed response.

"John Kelly" wrote:

> Hello there,
> "csaagp" <> wrote in message
> >I was able to make a custom profile, but I have some questions.
> >
> > My goal is to take a series of different sized JPEG images from a 3.1 mp
> > digital camera, and generate a NTSC DVD slideshow to be played on the TV.
> > Top
> > priority is quality of picture.
> > Disk space is not an issue.
> >
> > I'm using TmpgEnc to encode the WMM 2 output into mpeg2 format.
> >
> > For video size - Since I have a series of different sized photos taken
> > from
> > a 3.1 mp dig camera should I set size to 720x480 or 'same as video input'?
> > have a lot of pictures, so editing all of them to make them all same sized
> > is
> > not an option.
> Thats a pity, the only way to maintain the highest possible quality is
> to crop and resize. Crop to desired ratio...note I say ratio not number of
> pixels. Then resize using any program other than Movie Maker. Movie Maker
> does not do a very good job of doing this as described in here previously by
> one of the team members that created Movie Maker.
> If your target is DVD using NTSC then step 2 above will be resize so
> that the height will be 480. The width takes care of itself because of the
> crop to required ratio.
> Whatrever you do...DO NOT RESIZE TO SOMETHING LIKE 800 x 600 or any
> other computer screen size...there is no relationship between the number of
> pixels on a computer screen to those require by a DVD...this was also
> discussed in this newsgroup previously when REHAN was corrected by the same
> team member from Microsoft
> > Key Fram/Buff size - are the default values ok for a picture slideshow?
> I would think they were more than adequate, even if you have some
> effects/transitions. Personaly, I have played with those settings a few
> times and never found any difference no matter what I set them the
> end of the day, if you set the bitrate to high then the keyframe will come
> into play forcing the image to catch up...causing a small jump in the
> picture...if that happens a lot then it would suggest you have to high a
> bitrate.
> > Vid Bit Rate - If I choose CBR, would it make sense to use the same
> > bitrate
> > that I use in TmpgEnc when encoding it to MPeg2 (e.g. 8000 kbps; would a
> > higher bit rate just be wasting time/space)? I tried using 'uncompressed'
> > but
> > TmpgEnc wouldn't read in the resultant WMV file (although it didn't have
> > any
> > problems with other WMV files)
> I always use VBR with a maximum of 8,000 and an average of 7500kb/s
> > I also tried saving it in DV-AVI, but the output was noticably blurry -
> > couldn't be a player issue as it was just as blurry after encoding to
> > mpeg2.
> Proably due to the phyical size of images used.....
> [...]

Relevant Pages

  • Re: best save setting to fit >1hr video on DVD
    ... I downloaded the profile and it's ready to go. ... I doubt it will even come close to replacing DVD ... set at 'superior quality VBR'. ... Since you put the ''13'' different clips into Movie Maker to add titles ...
  • Re: Custom profile question
    ... and generate a NTSC DVD slideshow to be played on the TV. ... Then resize using any program other than Movie Maker. ... pixels on a computer screen to those require by a DVD...this was also ... if you set the bitrate to high then the keyframe will come ...
  • Re: VideoRedo, Actually Change Video and Audio Bit Rate
    ... The free tmpgenc works on the ... > from the mpeg-2 to the reduced quality. ... > lowest quality I can get and play it in a DVD player is what? ... The higher the bitrate used to encode the MPEG, ...
  • Re: Windows XP Pro - No HighMAT Format
    ... Movie Maker 2 is fine. ... DVD for much better quality display on your TV you will then need a DVD ... solution for creating a TV viewable slideshow of photos? ...
  • Re: LiveTV Picture Quality
    ... > We put together an MCE box with the 250MCE Card from Hauppage in it. ... DVD Quality for sure. ... >> Is their a way to enlarge the Bitrate? ...