Re: Creating DVD Movies

From: Rehan (rehan_at_NOSPAMntlworld.com)
Date: 08/07/04

Date: Sat, 7 Aug 2004 13:36:30 +0100

Adrianne,

> I converted it to MPEG 2 as suggested but I ended up with 2 separate
> files -
> a .m2v file and a .wav file. It appears that the converter separated the
> audio from the video. I expected one file after the conversion. Did I do
> something wrong?

This is an optional thing in TMPGenc. In the wizard you ran at the startup,
the last screen titled: Project Wizard 5/5 "Specifying output file name",
has a selectable option "Output Video and audio as individual elementry
streams". Perhaps it is on by default? Just unclick it and you would get a
combined .MPG file.

If you do not want to run the wizard again, just select the radio button
"System (Video+Audio)" from the bottom right area of the main window under
"Stream Type".

If you have done a conversion before, the two files (m2v and .wav) can be
combined to produce a .mpg file from File->MPEG Tools. Under the first tab
named "Simple multiplex" select stream type to be "MPEG-2 Program (VBR)" and
select other obvious settings in the dialog (input and output file names)
and press OK.

However I must say that if you want a quick and easy solution then Sonic
MyDVD is the way to go. It wont offer any advanced options but should
produce your DVD without much hassle. It also has a trial version available
to download though not easily accessible from the main page of the website.
Here is the direct link:
http://support.sonic.com/desktop/downloads.asp?type=desktop&product=mydvd

--
-R-e-h-a-n-
http://www.rehanfx.org (visit for free effects and transitions)
"Adrianne728" <Adrianne728@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>> software
>> to do different type of work. Some software suites cover more than one of
>> these five steps, however for professional looking results you may need a
>> dedicated software for each step. Windows Movie Maker does a good job of
>> step 1 and 2. For the rest of the three steps:
>>
>> For encoding: I use TMPGenc (Tsunami Encoder) which is a very high
>> quality
>> yet affordable encoder for converting any media type to MPEG1 and MPEG2.
>> For
>> MPEG1 encoding it is completely free as well. You need MPEG2 encoding
>> though
>> for DVDs. Note that this (step 3) is most critical as it involves a
>> format
>> conversion which has most potential for incurring quality loss if not
>> done
>> with due care.
>>
>> For authoring: My favourite is DVD Lab. Other softwares include TmpGenc
>> DVD
>> Author, Nero vision Express and many others.
>>
>> For burning the disk I use Nero Burning Rom. However this step is not
>> that
>> critical as any CD/DVD burning software will do the job once everything
>> is
>> ready to burn. Many Authoring softwares can do this step too.
>>
>> For links to these programs visit my faq page:
>> http://www.rehanfx.org/faq.htm
>>
>> --
>> -R-e-h-a-n-
>> http://www.rehanfx.org (visit for free effects and transitions)
>>

>> "LynManUK" <LynManUK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Got a real problem.  I'm a primary school teacher and as an end of year
>> > event I decided to create a compilation movie of the children who were
>> > leaving school.  It took me ages.  Created in Windows Movie Maker and
>> > then
>> > couldn't get it to burn to DVD.  Eventually after paying for some
>> > consultancy help managed to burn onto DVD but this would only play
>> > through
>> > pc.  We managed to show to whole school on the last day (there were
>> > about
>> > 250 people in the audience!) but, I still need to be able to copy the
>> > DVD
>> > so that the children can have a leaving present.  This was to be their
>> > gift on completing 8 years at school with us.
>> > Have redone the movie using ArcSoft Showbiz 2 but can't get further
>> > than
>> > 'Write Disc' and this just goes on to the hard disk.   I don't get an
>> > option to write to DVD writer.
>> > This was a new system purchased in April 2004 HP Pavilion with media
>> > center, paid 1500 with the attraction that I would be able to produce
>> > my
>> > own DVDs for school use.
>> > Have tried Philips DVD+RW discs, Packard Bell DVD+R discs.
>> > Have tried uninstalling and reinstalling DVD writer too.

Relevant Pages

  • Easy guides for convert DVD to MPG in Video Conversion
    ... such as playback on PMPs or further video editing. ... guide will tell you how to do DVD to MPG conversion with the DVD to ... MPG Converter from Leawo. ... title conversion is equal to a batch and merge conversion of all the ...
  • Re: VOB files
    ... I don't know why Microsoft labels "1Mbps Bit rate VBR" as DVD quality. ... Importing Video from Discs ... I dubbed some family VHS tapes to DVD, then copied the .vob files onto my hard drive. ... I have also done the .vob conversion using VirtualDub for MPEG-2, but that gives an .avi file which seemed to give me some trouble in WMM; it seems WMM likes .wmv files best. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.moviemaker)
  • How to edit DVD files with Windows Movie Maker
    ... Windows Movie Maker is a basic video editing and creating software ... The accepted formats for import by Windows Movie Maker are WMV, ... only rip DVD to Windows Movie Maker acceptable videos including AVI, ... because the IFO file contains the information about the entire DVD ...
  • how to import DVD/VOB/MOV/MP4/FLV files to windows movie maker?
    ... You are fond of a clip from a DVD movie or mp4/flv files and tried to ... Windows Movie Maker is basic video creating/editing software introduced ... Step 4: Start conversion. ...
  • How To: Convert (rip) DVD movies to iPhone(iPod)?
    ... There are many video conversion tools that are capable of converting ... DVD video to iPhoneformat. ... We recommend that you use the DVD to iPhoneConverter. ... Load the DVD movie into your DVD player, then press and hold the Shift ...
    (alt.video.dvd)