Re: tcp settings

From: Jonathan Kay [MVP] (msnewsreplies_at_jonathankay.com)
Date: 05/24/04

Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 18:01:39 -0400

Greetings Tony,

If you're seeing this message, it either means you're using some kind of internet sharing
(such as a router) or you have a firewall engaged.

Firstly, if you're using a router, the router must support Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) in
order to send files directly (that is, directly to your contact instead of through the
server -- going direct is *much* faster then the server method). There may be a firmware
update or you may simply need to turn on UPnP in the router in order to do this.

Secondly, the built-in Internet Connection Firewall in Windows XP can prevent a direct file
transfer connection from being established. Unfortunately in MSN Messenger 6.x, the ports
are dynamic for file transfer, so there is no way to get around this, besides turning off the
firewall entirely. If you want to do this, firstly make sure that you're up-to-date with
your WindowsUpdates (http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com), then click Start, then All
Programs, then Accessories, then Communications, and then Network Connections. Right click
your network/internet connection, then click Properties. Click the Advanced Tab, and verify
that the Internet Connection Firewall is unchecked. Note that in the next service pack for
Windows XP (Windows XP Service Pack 2), the Internet Connection Firewall will be renamed to
the Windows Firewall and will allow you to simply allow Messenger full access to the internet
connection (and therefore allow you to send files directly without the firewall engaged).
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert

"tonysecrett" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>i am being told to open tcp ports to speed up file transfer but cant find them to open!!

Relevant Pages

  • Re: firewall?
    ... Well, if you have Windows XP, it's there.. ... Click on "Enable or Disable Internet Connection Firewall" ...
  • Re: BIG PROBLEM - with firewalls sudden reboot
    ... I notice that if I disabled my software firewall Norton 2002 ... with them losing their net connection and restarting windows.. ... A google shows that the router you mentioned is a USB or Ethernet ... do a win xp reinstall or a win xp repair. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Only 1 PC at a time will show in workgroup
    ... Can I not assign rights the old way? ... it keeps turning on the Windows ... The Windows firewall is off on boths PCs ... TCP/UDP port 445 open on router. ...
  • Re: Cant connect to a distant computer with remote desktop session.
    ... The PC is behind the Windows XP firewall, ... here when I desactivate the firewall. ... I don't use a router, ... Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows - Desktop User Experience) ...
  • Re: Networking
    ... The laptop and my desktop both run Windows XP SP2 home and I use Mcafee ... The wireless modem / router has been set-up using my ISP's installation ... and it says it can enable a built in IP filter firewall if required. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)