Re: Freezes at Welcome Screen, Desktop

Dell

Are you able to log on as the Administrator in Safe Mode and create
a new user profile.

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=279783

http://support.microsoft.com

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dell Christopher wrote:
Sony PCV-RS430G desktop
WinXP Home
Pent 4 (2.80 GHz), 512 mb RAM, 120 gb HD

The computer has just recently started freezing right after I enter my
password at the Welcome screen. As a result, I removed the HD and
used a USB/IDE cable kit to attach it to another working WinXP
computer. From there, I ran an AVG scan on that specific drive only,
which resulted in 50 infections and 4 spyware files - all removed or
healed. After that, I reconnected the HD to the Sony and now it
freezes once I hit the Desktop (no icons, toolbar or system tray). I
am also unable to boot to Safe Mode, and Last Known Good Config still
results in the freeze.
I've now removed the HD a second time, and ran both a "quick" and
"extended" diagnostics test using Western Digital software; both
tests resulted in PASS. At this point, I don't know what to do next.
I'm also concerned that when I connected the HD to the 2nd computer,
I can't open my User folder (i.e. Docs & Settings). It just says
inaccessible. Furthermore, when hovering over that folder, it says
Folder Empty. Maybe that's because there is a Windows password for
my User Account? Not sure.
I'm hopeful to get some input on what might be the problem, or some
direction on what to try next. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

  • Re: Cant Restart XP Home Edt. - Desktop not Reloading/Blank Screen
    ... I couldnt restart it on my desktop since it was frozen so I turned it off from the on/off button and then turned it on again. ... I saw the windows logo showing on my screen while loading just like normal, however, my desktop never reloaded. ... I tried safe mode, Last Known Good Configuration, Start Windows Normalls but none of those options worked. ... HOW TO Create and Configure User Accounts in Windows XP ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)
  • RE: Problems with User Accounts in XP
    ... Problems with User Accounts in XP ... It appears that you may have a problem with the default user profile. ... The tool designed for this in Windows XP is the System File ... Windows 2000 Security Homepage: ...
  • Re: Startup password
    ... system to yesterday before I deleted user profile and it worked. ... boot the computer into Safe Mode. ... Administrator account. ... do Ctrl-Alt-Del twice to get the classic Windows logon box. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers)
  • Re: cannot get by logon screen
    ... How can they reset the logon or delete the users to get into the ... boot the computer into Safe Mode. ... do Ctrl-Alt-Del twice to get the classic Windows logon box. ... go to the User Accounts applet and fix the password issues. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Unable to start Windows XP Home edition after power failure
    ... A description of the Safe Mode Boot options in Windows XP ... How to Copy User Data to a New User Profile ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)