Re: Deleting System Restore points?

Leonard

"Each restore point is linked with previous restore points, so all restore points
created prior to a given restore point are needed to complete a
restoration."

Where did you get this idea from? It is inconsistent with your next point"

"You can only delete all but the most recent restore
point."

--

Gerry
~~~~

Leonard Grey wrote:
Restore points can't be deleted or preserved individually. Each
restore point is linked with previous restore points, so all restore
points created prior to a given restore point are needed to complete a
restoration. You can only delete all but the most recent restore
point.
System Restore is not a backup. To backup and restore your system in a
matter of minutes, use disk imaging software. Acronis True Image is an
example. Disk imaging has a learning curve, but it's so worthwhile.

You didn't say what operating system you have. Vista makes disk
images, albeit in a clunky way. Windows 7 has a much better imaging
utility. ---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

Swifty wrote:
Is there a way to delete System Restore points?

I recently had a battle royal trying to get an X-Fi soundcard to
replace my faulty Audigy 2 ZS card. In the process, I installed, and
uninstalled dozens of times. This created lots of useless restore
points, but importantly, "aged out" all but the one useful restore
point, from a few days before the X-Fi card arrived.

As soon as another restore point is created, my last good one will be
gone. I'm already using the maximum allowed space, so there's no
obvious way of preserving this good one, if only for a few days
more, unless I can delete one of the intermediate bad ones.

  • Re: Windows XP Backup
    ... Restore are two well-known examples, but there are other brands as ... Disk imaging is not a simple thing to understand, ... account for much of "problems and complications" you read about. ... I use Acronis True Image 10 and I'm very happy with it. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize)
  • Re: Windows XP Backup
    ... Acronis True Image 10 and Norton Save and Restore are two well-known examples, but there are other brands as well. ... Disk imaging is not a simple thing to understand, and that may account for much of "problems and complications" you read about. ... I know that there are image "ghosting" programs available like Norton 'Save and Restore' and Acronis 'True Image,' but, from reading reviews, they seem fraught with problems and complications. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize)
  • TrueImage 9 makes sector images - was "Disk defragmentation - is it worth it?"
    ... changed from "sector-level disk imaging approach" because it has ... Thank you for your interest in Acronis True Image 9.0 ... Acronis True Image 9.0 now has Acronis Snap Restore - exclusive ... Files and folders backup with filtering ...
    (comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage)
  • Re: SBS 2K3 Lost Nearly 2 Months Of Its Life!
    ... "The server has failed and I have to start over". ... rebooted prior to this latest outage. ... Backup Exec is also showing this i.e. no option to restore between ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Windows Update disconnect my IPAQ
    ... Have you tried a "System Restore" from the restore point made prior to the updates. ... by one to see which one causes the problem with ActiveSync... ... >>> Is there any way of undoing the windows update? ...
    (microsoft.public.pocketpc.activesync)