Re: No response when selecting MY COMPUTER

CPU AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3800+
2.39 GHz, 896 MB RAM

Commit Charge
Total 539120
Limit 2219200
Peak 617224

Volume (C:)
Volume size = 64.51 GB
Cluster size = 4 KB
Used space = 30.48 GB
Free space = 34.03 GB
Percent free space = 52 %

Volume fragmentation
Total fragmentation = 5 %
File fragmentation = 11 %
Free space fragmentation = 0 %

File fragmentation
Total files = 105,155
Average file size = 403 KB
Total fragmented files = 3,704
Total excess fragments = 16,724
Average fragments per file = 1.15

Pagefile fragmentation
Pagefile size = 1.31 GB
Total fragments = 1

Folder fragmentation
Total folders = 10,190
Fragmented folders = 102
Excess folder fragments = 248

Master File Table (MFT) fragmentation
Total MFT size = 121 MB
MFT record count = 115,969
Percent MFT in use = 93 %
Total MFT fragments = 2

Fragments File Size Most fragmented files
1,540 110 MB \Documents and Settings\Gail\Local
Express\Deleted Items.dbx
533 33 MB \Documents and Settings\Owner\Local
348 30 MB \System Volume
255 16 MB \System Volume
247 15 MB \System Volume
242 23 MB \Documents and Settings\Owner\Local
222 14 MB \Documents and Settings\Owner\Local
Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\KMXHHQVK\TrendAVe[1].zip
206 1 KB \Documents and Settings\Owner\ntuser.dat.LOG
187 12 MB \System Volume
184 12 MB \System Volume
184 12 MB \WINDOWS\Temp\mxAV7
160 682 KB \Documents and Settings\Owner\Local
Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Live
158 10 MB \System Volume
147 1 KB \WINDOWS\system32\config\system.LOG
141 9 MB
129 709 MB \Documents and Settings\Owner\Local
Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\archive.pst
115 7 MB \System Volume
115 7 MB \System Volume
115 7 MB
103 6 MB \System Volume
100 413 KB \WINDOWS\Debug\UserMode\userenv.bak
95 6 MB \System Volume
93 6 MB \WINDOWS\Temp\mxAVx7
90 6 MB \System Volume
90 6 MB \System Volume
84 5 MB \System Volume
73 6 MB \System Volume
72 4 MB \System Volume
72 6 MB \System Volume

"Gerry" wrote:

Can we take a step back and look as some fundamentals.

What is the CPU and how much RAM does your computer have? Right click on
the My Computer icon on your Desktop and select Properties to get this

Try Ctrl+Alt+Delete to select Task Manager and click the Performance
Tab. Under Commit Charge what is the Total, the Limit and the Peak?

Open Disk Defragmenter and click on Analyse. Select View Report and
click on Save As and Save. Now find VolumeC.txt in your My Documents
Folder and post a copy. Do this before running Disk Defragmenter as it
is more informative.

Hope this helps.

Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
Rollie wrote:
I discovered, if I am patient, that eventually the components of my
computer are discovered and displayed but it may take 2 or 3 minutes.
I 've tried both suggestions with little change. Thanks for the

"Gerry" wrote:

Go to Start, Control Panel. Administrative Tools, Services and right
click on the WIA Service. Select Properties and check the Start Up
type. Mine is set to Start Automatically.

This link describes the service.

You will see that the recommended setting is Manual but I changed
mine after getting problems years ago.

Hope this helps.

Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute

Rollie wrote:
I selected Windows Explorer from the Accessories list. When I
clicked on My Computer to see the drives I again saw the flashlight
and no parts to my computer.

"Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:

Rightclick your drive's icon in Explorer, and Properties, then
Tools tab for "Error Checking" the drive.

Please use the Communities guidelines when posting.
Use the "Ratings" feature. It helps the new users.
Mark L. Ferguson MS-MVP

"Rollie" <Rollie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
When I click on MY COMPUTER the window displays a flashlight
rolling back and
forth searching fo components but never finds anything. I cannot
change folders when trying to open files through MY DOCUMENTS.
Computer freezes and
I must use Task Manager to exit.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Constant Freezing - Please help
    ... Gerry, you've been very kind and I wanted to let you know what else I have ... I did download the RAM test but have not yet run it. ... I could disable the McAfee site advisor (which ... Volume fragmentation ...
  • Re: Slow performance
    ... The amt of RAM is 448 MB. ... Volume fragmentation ... Fragments File Size Most fragmented files ... Under Commit Charge what is the Total, the Limit and the Peak? ...
  • Re: calloc ( ) failed ... but enough RAM ...
    ... I know how many RAM available has my system by simply looking into the ... > You are ignoring issues like address space fragmentation. ... > safely assume that allocating a contiguous chunk of memory this size is unlikely. ... > There is no way to answer your question about how much space you can allocate; ...
  • Re: What does a virtual memory error message mean?
    ... You did not answer my question about how much RAM is installed. ... the pagefile of 768 mb I conclude that you have 512 mb RAM installed. ... Volume fragmentation ... Wong\Local Settings\Temporary Internet ...
  • Re: [00/41] Large Blocksize Support V7 (adds memmap support)
    ... page per 2MB chunk? ... Fragmentation slowly builds over time, ... I would further assume most ram is used on soft fragments and that the ... It depends on the lifetime of the allocations. ...