Re: Swap/PageFile and Ram

lol, ya got me! OK, a different tack.

"...there may be an entirely different tact that would lead to
a more effective result..."

<Ahem>...perhaps you mean a different /tack/...it's a sailing term.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare Humanum Est

Security Tips for Everyone, from PC Magazine

Twayne wrote:
I have tried all options. I just want xp to use it less
aggressively.

Perhaps it would clarify a lot to know why you want it to use it less
aggressively, and what it is that is too aggressive?
It's possible there may be an entirely different tact that would
lead to a more effective result for you.

Twayne

"thomas" <thomas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
How do I get my computer to use more ram and less swap/pagefile?
My guess is you are *already* maximizing your RAM usage and
minimizing pagefile usage; that is how Windows is designed. Just to
make sure, let Windows manage your virtual memory:

Right-click My Computer | Properites | Advanced | Performance:
Settings
Advanced | Virtual Memory: Change | (make sure your drive letter
is
selected) System Managed Size | Set | OK | OK

(You will need to restart the computer for the change to take
place.
Right now my pagefile is set at 2048mb, I have 2048gb of system
ram and with
rainmeter I am monitoring both along with other sys. variables.

On average my pagefile use is about 250mb and sys. ram use is
about 350mb.
If that RAM use is peak use, then you have *much more* than enough
RAM! Seriously, I would image that one fourth of that amount
(512MB) would still be more than enough. Gerry told you about a
very useful utility to measure pagefile usage, so you might want
to use it per his instructions to get a better idea on how your PC
uses RAM and virtual memory.

Also note what Gerry said about allocation. Windows *allocates*
virtual memory to different applications. So even if you see
virtual memory figures, say in Task Manager, that doesn't mean
that at that moment all those programs are actively *using* all
that memory. Bottom line: it's nothing to worry about. If you'd
like to learn more, this page is excellent:

http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.php

Compaq Proliant ML 330 | 733MHz Intel Pentium III w/ 2GB | Seagate
250 gb
SATA IDE HDD | Pioneer SATA IDE DVD\CD R-RW | Windows XP sp3|
Nvidia GeForce
6200 OC | D-Link DWA-552 Wireless Card |
CPU is on the slow side by today's standards. How much longer do
you plan on using this PC, just out of curiosity? I'm sure it still
serves you well, though. But if you were to use a faster processor,
you would notice a *huge* difference!

P.S., take anything Andrew E. says with a grain of salt. Once
you've been in these newsgroups for a while, you'll see he is --
to put it kindly -- quite clueless. The late Alex Nichol (who is
responsible for the article I cited earlier), had this rebuttal to
Andrew four years ago:

<quote>

Do NOT disable the page file executive except for trouble shooting.

You will simply lose the use of a substantial part of RAM to no
purpose at all.

That setting will only be on 1 if someone has mistakenly set it
deliberately.

</quote>

The above is from:

http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/msg/ffcf750591fc3af6?hl=en

  • Re: Virtual Memory is too low
    ... Free disk space is valuable if you have insuffient and less or not ... the option windows has provided and provide ... The aspect of virtual memory you refer to as a machine limitation is ... Adding RAM can reduce but not eliminate pagefile ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Pagefile question for XP sp2
    ... The outdated understanding of the default settings you ... How to set performance options in Windows XP ... represents the best advice available on virtual memory. ... done) this means you need to add RAM memory. ...
  • Re: Page file setting?
    ... the Windows XP library entitled "Windows XP MVP" The book will ... 'Windows XP can generally manage its own virtual memory ... RAM that is installed on the computer.' ... More RAM means less virtual memory paging file and less RAM means more ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers)
  • Re: Windows Explorer is CRASHING!!!
    ... Did you run any system tweak programs or did you make any registry ... Someday I *MIGHT* put more RAM on this system.) ... >> My problem is with Windows 2000 Windows Explorer. ... >> Available Virtual Memory 3,442,960 KB ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.general)
  • Re: Hardware Monitor found an error
    ... I ran the winxp pagefile usage monitor and here are the results. ... Before you buy more RAM, realize that very few people need more than ... If you are not using the page file significantly, more memory will do ... lie.., My son is pretty good with hard ware, but not with windows XP .. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)