Re: Problem shutting down the machine

I would show the computer to a professional. You may have a failing power supply, which a professional can easily test.

You can also look at Event Viewer, to see if any problems were recorded.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

"A Day in the Life of a Web 2.0 Hacker" - PC Magazine

backpacker wrote:
On several occasions now (5+), my machine refuses to shut down.

1. The problem is not reproducible at will. It happens occasionally
but not every time (say once every three times the machine has been
switched on)

2. The machine does not seem to be spinning on disk

3. cntl-alt-del does not help. It does *not* bring up the task manager
- but the icon for it does appear on the right hand bottom section of
the screen

4. I cannot start other apps.. However, I can reattempt to switch off
the computer. After a long wait, sometimes an end task screen appears
- for explorer.exe (not that I ran the app, but I guess it is probably
there in the start up menu), task manager, connections tray. Inspite
of ending these programs, the machine waits there with a blank
screen.

5. I have waited over 15 minutes but the machine does not shut down.
No messages (such as installing updates or anything else) appear on
the screen.

Suggestions on how to identify the problem as well as to fix it will
be appreciated.

Cheers,
Vikram

  • Re: Cant log off / Switch Users / Shut down.
    ... There's not a heck of a lot of info in the Event Viewer. ... >>I have Windows XP Pro with Service Pack 2 and the lastest Dell Precision ... >> switching users or shutting down (computer locks up) although I have the ... >> Note I can sometimes switch between 2 users but can't always open the ...
  • Re: Using the /auxsource switch
    ... send to the Event Viewer so the Event Viewer gets upset and lists an error ... If you wish to waste your time with the /AUXSOURCE switch option, ... Windows XP Non-Domain Domain Controllers ... I am trying to translate a .NET Runtime Error message logged under Event ...
  • Re: "I want an iPhone!"
    ... I use NO email apps other than what's provided by ... I'm personally MUCH too security conscious to have a gmail account, ... FWIW, Crackberry has the answers to memory leaks, rebooting issues (I ... Switching phones: I've switched many times, when I made my last switch ...
    (alt.cellular.verizon)
  • Re: Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( ) cannot be found....
    ... running std XP and not pro or server version. ... Detailed Usage of the Event Viewer /AUXSOURCE Switch Option ... MS-MVP Windows Shell/User ... View and Manage Event Logs in Event Viewer in Windows XP ...
  • Re: F16/Gnome 3 - Recent Documents
    ... For any apps that use the recent docs integration bits, ... 'GNOME Shell overview'. ... logo key on your keyboard, or Alt+F1, or hitting the upper left corner ... Now if there is a keystroke to switch from 'windows' view to 'appllications' in the overview and then to select app submenus I would be even more thankful! ...
    (Fedora)