Re: removable storage not running (windows XP backup)

My service is set to manual but I have gotten this message on several
machines. Windows XP SP3 if that helps. I start the service and it is set
to manual and I still get the error. The backup in Windows won't run to
backup files. Any ideas? Thank you.

"Mark Dormer" wrote:

tlfmd wrote:
so how did it get set to disable? it USED to work...
and why swouldn't the error message send me there.. help had no
reference to this

"Mark Dormer" wrote:

"tlfmd" <tlfmd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
I get this message when trying to amend Backup... It used to work OK
I have Seagate Freeagent and can find in Explorer, read or look at
files and pictures, send files to the drive as in manually backup
but cannot get Backup to recognize its availability.
I can even manually transfer copies of files to it.
How do I tell Backup that it is there and to use it?

That message appears when the Removable Storage service is set to
Disabled.

Open the Services MMC (Start-Run-type "services.msc")
Select the Removable Storage service, right click-Properties set
Startup type "manual".

--
Regards
Mark Dormer

I have no idea and little chance of figuringout what changed a setting on
your PC.

Error messages are generally poor on most things.
You need a decoder ring to work out whast they really mean! ;-)

--
Regards
Mark Dormer

  • Re: Windows XP Home and Disk Share
    ... The network share cannot be on a computer running Windows XP Home..... ... This is the error message one gets when when runs "Backup and Restore Center" from Vista to backup files from it to a drive on Windows XP Home computer for a folder with full access rights ... Error message is coming from MS Vista Business. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Problem Ejecting USB Mass Storage Device
    ... I use a USB drive to backup my PC. ... Close any programs or windows that might be using the device, ... I also click on the Processes tab of the Task Manager and close any processes that I suspect may be accessing the drive, e.g. all Symantec processes (on the hunch that perhaps some of the Norton products such as "Antivirus" or "Save & Restore" may be using the drive. ... The error message is typical of many Microsoft error messages: vague and with no specific indication as to which program needs to be closed. ...
  • Re: NTBACKUP on XP Fails to Restore .BKF File from CD
    ... however I don't believe your response applies to my situation as I'm not using ASR. ... ASR does not function and is not supported on Windows XP Home ... > The ASR Wizard may create the floppy disks and a backup file ... When the error message is not displayed, ...
  • Re: Automated System Recovery - Catastrophic failure
    ... An Error Message Is Displayed When You Attempt to Use the Automated System Recovery Wizard ... Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies: ... | The backup could not be completed due to an error. ...
  • Re: removable storage not running (windows XP backup)
    ... and why swouldn't the error message send me there.. ... "Mark Dormer" wrote: ... but cannot get Backup to recognize its availability. ... right click-Properties set ...