Re: Windows - Corrupt File

nass wrote:

"nass" wrote:

Before we attempting anything this File/folder refer to a Outlook Express Folder been removed, do you remember creating something like that?.
It could be a user profile corrupt on this machine!.
Error Message: The Recycle Bin on C:\ Is Corrupt or Invalid
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;297760&Product=win2000#WinXP

Open Windows Explorer and click Tools >> Folder option >> click on View tab then scroll down to:
(*) Show Hidden Files and Folder

Click Okay then Open a run command and type in:
cmd.exe click [OK]
On the Prompt command type in:
C:\Documents and settings\Name>c:\recycler Hit Enter key on your Keyboard.

Then chnage the Name to this Directory which reflect the Correct Path to be deleted:
Type Dir/All to Display all Hidden Files then Delete all with the Del command like this:

C:\>Del

Recycle Bin - Deleting Problems
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_qr.htm

Restore the Recycle Bin
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/restorerecyclebin.reg

Go through these Cleaning steps:
1... First, try to clean up your caches, Internet files and delete cookies
by doing this:
Click Start >> Control Panel >> Double click Network and Internet
Connections >> Double click Internet Options.
On the IE properties windows you will see these Tabs:
General | Security | Privacy | Content | Connections | Programs |
Under General Tab clear your History, Internet Files and Cookies.
Then click on Advanced tab and scroll down to under the Browsing Option:
[&] Browsing
[ ] Enable Third-Party browser extensions (Req Rest) uncheck this box.
Then click on Programs Tab and click Manage Add-Ons and Disable all non
Verified Add-Ons (You should Renable them later one-by-one and see the
culprit and update it or remove it.
How to manage Add-Ons:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/883256
Scan for malware from here:
SuperAntispyware - Free
http://www.superantispyware.com/superantispywarefreevspro.html
RootkitRevealer v1.71
By Bryce Cogswell and Mark Russinovich
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/Security/RootkitRevealer.mspx

Run a scan from here on-line:
http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/default.asp?langid=ie&venid=sym
Download Avast Cleaner (offline scanner) from here:
Lots of tools to download and disinfect your machine (offline scanner):
http://www.bitdefender.co.uk/site/Downloads/browseFreeRemovalTool/

After the scan run disk cleanup on your drive.

try to run the Hijackthis and send the log to one of many forums and please
can you send me one at here:
to_you_rossatyahoo.co.uk (replace the at with@ to email me -!= _ ) for more
help, if you wish.

2- Download the Hijackthis and send the report to one of many
forums for analysis and troubleshooting:
http://www.merijn.org/index.php
When all else fails, HijackThis v2.0.2
(http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en-US/tools/security_tools/hijackthis) is
the preferred tool to use.
It will help you to both identify and remove any hijackware/spyware. Post
your log to http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30,
http://castlecops.com/forum67.html,
http://forums.subratam.org/index.php?showforum=7, or other appropriate
forums for expert analysis, not here.

HTH.
Let us know how it is going.
nass
----
http://www.nasstec.co.uk

"Cj" wrote:

I do remember awhile back that my outlook was doing funky things (mostly regarding my plaxo membership) so I switched to outlook express. I don't remember creating a file called recycler. A few months ago I created a user profile for my computer and then I deleted it because it was making my computer slow. I don't remember when I officially started getting the pop ups. They don't happen until I try to empty the bin.

Here is the log for the cmd.exe

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\CJ Tune-Copeland>Name>c:\recycler
Access is denied.

C:\Documents and Settings\CJ Tune-Copeland>c:\recycler
'c:\recycler' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

So I couldn't go any further because I couldn't get to the recycler to do anything else.

I also checked the Error Message: The Recycle Bin on C:\ Is Corrupt or Invalid link you gave and I made sure everything was updated and I do have the service pack 2 already on the computer so that isn't the issue.

I've cleaned the computer using McAfee and TrendMicro.

Any suggestions as what to do next?

Thanks for your help!

Try the Reg file from kelly-Korner and see if that will help.
Also try to take the ownership of the C:\ or the folder again by checking the Security settings.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

Please perform the cleaning steps provided and if you still having issue try to download the crap cleaner and install the text menu for the Recycle Bin to use the Crap cleaner to delete the file/folder or it can delete on Reboot, please read the help and how to use the CCleaner before using it!.
http://www.ccleaner.com
If you still having problem you are welcome to send me your Hijackthis log at my contact provide in the previous post.
HTH.
nass
----
http://www.nasstec.co.uk
I am having the same problem trying to delete a leftover WordPerfect file on my D: drive. Any attempt to rename, move, or delete the file gives me a File is corrupt and unreadable. Please run chkdsk.

I have run chkdsk /f and /r on drive D:. Neither finds any bad sectors.

My concern is that every few days I get a Windows startup message saying Windows needs to check disk d:. If I let it go ahead and check it runs chkdsk and doesn't find any errors. I could live with the one bad file here if Windows wouldn't insist on offering to check the disk at startup. This happens once or twice a week at startup.

I am using Windows XP Pro with SP2. I have tried ccleaner, which indicates that it is removing the file or its containing folder, but the offending file is still there after ccleaner runs.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Bill

  • Re: No path to recycle bin!
    ... protected operating system files" so I can now see Recycler in drive C: ... The Recycler folder should open. ... Recycle Bin RECYCLER ... WINDOWS or WINNT folder. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)
  • Re: Recycle Bin
    ... though the GUI recycle bin as displayed on the desktop of each user account ... MS-MVP Windows Shell/User ... the recycler folder has a sysid ... apparently for each user account. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: OE Wiped Clean......???
    ... markers)/look in the Hard Drive on which Windows is installed/More Advanced ... >> Create a shortcut to something in the Quick Launch folder (note the space ... (2 of my new identity.....2 of the old corrupt one). ...
  • Re: Corrupted Windows Mail Messages
    ... The corrupt e-mail contains the ... message from another email saved in the same folder. ... compacted every ten times Windows Mail was opened. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)
  • Re: Vanishing icons on Desktop and in Recycle Bin
    ... My big problem is the fact that Windows doesn't seem to ... I do know the folder is there because I can see it in the ... I have a recycle bin icon on the desktop, ... [[The disk check could not be performed because the disk check utility ...