Windows Explorer Search: (All Files and Folders) Option is Missing

In Windows Explorer, my Search is set up as "Advanced - includes options
to manually enter search criteria." When I click on "More Advanced
Options" there is a combobox for "Type of file." The first item in
that combobox should be "(All Files and Folders)" but that option
disappeared a few weeks ago. Now, the first option is ".Net Managed
Resources File."

This has the effect of causing search queries to return no files found
if I search for something like "searchterm" because it is really only
searching for files of type ".Net Managed Resources File." I have to
explicitly force it to search all file types by searching for
"*searchterm*.*".

I am guessing that something in the registry got messed up but I can't
figure out what. Under HKCR I have an entry for "Directory" and it is
identical to the entry on other computers with a working Search
function. In the Windows Explorer menu Tools->Options->FileTypes I
have entries for "File Folder" and "Folder" that are identical to other
computers.

Any thoughts on what I could do to fix it? Hopefully something as
quick and easy as reentering lost data into the registry.

Thanks.

--
tateu
tateu's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=34200

http://forums.techarena.in

  • Re: Virus or Trojan utilizes cmd.exe for nearly 100 percent
    ... removed the entry from the registry and after a restart the computers ... entry in the registry and i had to clean the computers in VGA mode. ... Updating to a higher level of system software is in the moment no option ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • Re: how to restore .zip file association & file icon in Vista?
    ... now how can we get back to old zip files opening in Vista?  ... ...[delete this entry in the registry: ... Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic! ...
  • Re: view workgroup computers--workaround
    ... > Are your XP computers running Simple, ... > uses the Guest account, as a backup to a matching non-Guest account with ... > On XP Home, and on XP Pro with Simple File Sharing enabled, make sure that the ... > Have you used the Registry Editor before? ...
  • Re: Registry question
    ... RegMaid.exe Helps Clean Up the Registry ... Microsoft Visual C++, 32-bit Learning Edition, version 6.0 ... RegMaid provides information about entries that are believed to be ... server file entry cannot be found by the system. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: XP
    ... to convince that you know anything at all, much less about computers. ... OneCare Registry Cleaner is bogus, ... These machines are completely clean. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)