Re: Updating win98 to xp sp2 error 3E6h occurs

Thanks for your time Pat,
I did read the MS article, and I did try to install XP without 98 being
installed I got the 3e6h error then as well. That's why i tried to do it by
upgrading a clean ingstall of 98, and upgrade from there.
I have taken out the only additional card in the pc, but the error still
persist.

Thanks for your ideas

"Patrick Keenan" <test@xxxxxxxx> wrote in message
"MMJII" <MMJII@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Hello All,
I have a pc that had win 98 on it. It got upgraded to Win XP home, and
ran
for a little over a year.
The user turned the pc off in the middle of an automatic update, which
screwed up the works.
Now when I try to reinstall win xp i get an error 3E6h.
Even after I wiped the pc clean, reinstalled win 98 fresh, then tried to
upgrade to win xp but the 3E6h error still occurs.
I googled, and none of the fixes apply, I checked the ram as well.

Any ideas how to fix this.

First, you do *not* need to install win98 first, and it's probably best
not
to.

Wipe the drive, start the XP setup with the upgrade disk. You will be
asked to insert, then remove, the 98 CD. Do so, and XP install will
proceed. This will completely remove any possible conflict with 98 files
or other application.

You have seen this?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/311442

Try removing non-essential hardware, which means anything other than the
video card, mouse and keyboard. Detach all other peripherals, and remove
any other cards that have been added.

HTH
-pk

  • Re: Upgrading from Win98 to XP Home Edition
    ... > bought a new AGP graphics card and PCI sound card compatible with XP ... > or Win98 so just need to decide when the best time to install ... Well, if you're not planning to do an upgrade in place, but wipe/reinstall, ... where you've got the drivers) when prompted - if you even need to do this. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Web vs. Desktop based systems
    ... provider with better privacy policy (perhaps Yahoo) also provides ... to other folder or reporting spam or changing the filter recipes. ... But how do you *really* know the important upgrade that keeps ... The alert-window doesn't exactly say *why* you need to install this ...
    (comp.programming)
  • Re: How to get up to date Win XP CD?
    ... Install the original release image, ... Rick Rogers aka "Nutcase" MS-MVP - Windows ... > I have a wireless network card that has been causing problems of system> freezes at random intervals but only when running at 54Mbps. ... I have applied all available Windows Updates but> the card vendor says that I may have a legacy problem from my original> upgrade CD. ...
  • Re: Requesting some leniency on your piracy protection program ple
    ... If Windows is retail, not at all. ... You can reinstall, upgrade, move to a different computer all you want as long as it is only installed on one computer at a time. ... The things I do not get, is not being able to> install the same ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Machine Check Exception 0x0000009C
    ... A 250 Watt Power supply is usually too small when you "upgrade" an existing ... If your PC crashes during games etc. the video card power draw is the likely ... You did not mention what sound system is used on your P/C. ... Several days ago I tried to install a LG PC Suite III, ...