RE: download error

Hi Nass and thanks for the reply.
I tried all this to no avail so I re formated and still have the problems!
I have other computers that work fine I even used a different modem,
sometimes it works fine then others no email or no email orbrowser I have
tried opera and Thunderbird just the same I wondered if it was hardware but
everything else on the computer is fine!

David

"nass" wrote:

"David" wrote:

I recently got a bug in my computer despite norton, ad aware avg etc.

It was 'utimate defender' and all its crap! I went to
http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?p=1006050 I followed the removal
instructions which seemed to work but now my internet and email is slow and
sometimes un responsive and I cannot install windows updates? I tried re
installing windows (not re format) to no avail, can anyone please help my
only other option seems to be re-format which of course I would like to
avoid.

Thanks very much

David

Hi David,
Any third-party Toolbar installed?.
1... First, try to clean up your caches, Internet files and delete cookies
by doing this:
Click Start >> Control Panel >> Double click Network and Internet
Connections >> Double click Internet Options.
On the IE properties windows you will see these Taps:
General | Security | Privacy | Content | Connections | Programs |
Under General Tab clear your History, Internet Files and Cookies.
Then click on Advanced tab and scroll down to under the Browsing Option:
[&] Browsing
[ ] Enable Third-Party browser extensions (Req Rest) uncheck this box.
Then click on Programs Tab and click Manage Add-Ons and Disable all non
Verified Add-Ons (You should Renable them later one-by-one and see the
culprit and update it or remove it.
How to manage Add-Ons:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/883256

2... You need to be sure your system is clean from malware and Viruses by
scanning for them
Scan for malware from here:
http://onecare.live.com/site/en-gb/default.htm?s_cid=sah
http://onecare.live.com/standard/en-gb/default.htm
http://www.lavasoft.com/products/ad-aware_se_personal.php
http://www.safer-networking.org ; for Spybot S&D

=How to perform a clean boot procedure to prevent background programs from
interfering with a game or a program that you currently use
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796
"Explorer Has Encountered an Error and Needs to Close":
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822797/en-us

Run Disk Clean Up then Defrag in safe mode, Open the run command and type in:
ipconfig /flushdns click [OK]
ipconfig /renew Click [OK]
netsh winsock reset click [OK]

Make sure the settings for your TC/IP protocol and the DNS set to the right
settings
Or download the winsockFixer from here:
http://www.nasstec.co.uk/tools.html

If you still have the problem try the HijackThis :
Download the Hijackthis and send the report to one of
many
forums for analysis and troubleshooting:
When all else fails, HijackThis v1.99.1
(http://aumha.org/downloads/hijackthis.zip) is the preferred tool to use.
It will help you to both identify and remove any hijackware/spyware. Post
your log to http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30,
http://castlecops.com/forum67.html,
http://forums.subratam.org/index.php?showforum=7, or other appropriate
forums for expert analysis, not here.

IE7 NG on the web:
http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general&cat=en_US_9b42b613-dfee-4b99-9378-839a15bef262&lang=en&cr=US
HTH.
nass
---
www.nasstec.co.uk

  • RE: "exception thrown and not caught" error
    ... Could you please run the HijackThis and send me the log at: ... but am still not able to download the software (same ... First, try to clean up your caches, Internet files and delete cookies ... Under General Tab clear your History, Internet Files and Cookies. ...
  • RE: download error
    ... didn't install third-party software yet and it is doing the same scenario?. ... I have other computers that work fine I even used a different modem, ... First, try to clean up your caches, Internet files and delete cookies ... If you still have the problem try the HijackThis: ...
  • Re: Some images displayed while others are not .....Help!
    ... scan this morning with Trend Micro which came up clean and ran scans in safe ... > Download and install HiJackThis. ... >> images that will appear on pages while other images on the same page will ...
  • Re: ccLogviewer error message
    ... possibly a virus. ... From a different, clean machine download Stinger ... and HijackThis from http://aumha.org/freeware.htm. ... Do not install drivers from Windows Update. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Unable to delete certain temporary internet files
    ... > Also download a winsock repair tool, to have just in case cleaning up ... > How to manage Internet Explorer add-ons in Windows XP Service Pack 2 ... > Tutorial on how to use HijackThis: ... >> Internet Files under the Temp directory (in addition to the normal ...