Trojan won't allow boot into safe mode

Hi all -- i've managed to cause more throuble than I solved --
attempting to repair a friends PC that was LOADED with virus/trojans,
but it would not let me boot into safe mode (it *would* boot normally
however, but when trying safe mode it blue screens and recycles).
Trouble is I thought I could get around it by setting /safemode in
msconfig -- bad idea as now I can't boot normally and safe mode has
the same issues, so I'm in an endless boot to safe/blue screen loop --
does anyone have any suggestions?? Thanks

  • Fully updated system with up-to-date AV now hacked!
    ... Spent the last 4 hours or so, at a friends place. ... even in safe mode. ... apparently due to lack of permissions. ... The fire wall service is not running, ...
    (alt.comp.anti-virus)
  • Security bulletin ms04-011
    ... Having installed the Security update bulletin ms04-011 on ... my friends win 2000 computer the cpu usage runs at 100% ... except in safe mode where it is normal. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.general)
  • Re: Boot problem
    ... In one of my friends system...when we boot...a screen appears with message ... We are sorry for the inconvenience.. ... windows was not shut properly.. ... Safe mode with comand prompt ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Quick Poll: What do you use Safe Mode for?
    ... 2/ I've never needed to use it on NT based computers. ... > 1) What do you understand to be the purpose of Safe Mode? ... > Error Messages Are Your Friends ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)