Re: Computer getting slower and Sysytem Restore no longer works!

I found that this problem was more memory related. Although it is still good
to get rid of junk files you don't need too. I recently bought a new
computer with 2 GB of memory, my old system only had 64MB of memory and it
max out and would use disk space as additional memory, which is way slower
than memory.
Since I got my new mahcine with 2GB of memory, I have never had to swap to
disk
and have not crashed once due to insufficent memory.
So I woiuld suggest you do both, clean up your hard drive and defragment it
and add some extra memory to your computer if you can.

"Bert Kinney" wrote:

Cool, you're welcome.

Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
http://bertk.mvps.org
Member: http://dts-l.org

RonChi wrote:
Thanks to you and Redwood, my computer is now operating normally. I hope it
stays that way! :-)

Thanks again to you both.

Ron

"Bert Kinney" wrote:

You're welcome Ron.

Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
http://bertk.mvps.org
Member: http://dts-l.org

RonChi wrote:
Thank you very much, Bert. You solved my System Restore problem. Now, we'll
see if my other problems are fixed as well after I restore the system to an
earlier date.

Thanks again. This forum is great!

Ron

"Bert Kinney" wrote:

It's working now. There was server problems earlier.

Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
http://bertk.mvps.org
Member: http://dts-l.org

RonChi wrote:
Thanks, Bert, but that link just got me to a " the page cannot be displayed"
page. Could you check that link again. I'd love to be able to read the info
available.

Thanks.

Ron

"Bert Kinney" wrote:

Hi,

Tips Fixes & FAQs - System Restore opens to a blank window!
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/tips.html#BlankWindow

Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
http://bertk.mvps.org
Member: http://dts-l.org

RonChi wrote:
I'm using Windows XP Home Edition on a 2004 Compaq Presario PC. For the past
couple of weeks, the computer has been getting slower the longer I use it,
each time I use it. It starts up and works fine for an hour or so, then it
slows down, becomes difficult to save anything in Word; becomes difficult to
have more than one window open in Word; programs and applications are very
slow in closing, and when I reboot or shut the computer down, it takes
forever to do that too.

I've tried a couple of diagnostic programs, and they find nothing wrong.
I've run anti-virus and anti-spyware programs, and they find nothing wrong
also. I tried System Restore, but it no longer displays a calendar to choose
a restore point from. I've gotten rid of everything I installed in the last
week or so, but that hasn't helped either. Any ideas out there? Thanks.

  • Re: XP Always Out of Memory
    ... What are you doing when the "Out of Memory" messages appear? ... allocation to System Restore is 12% on your C partition which is over ... Select Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Disk CleanUp to ... An alternative to Disk CleanUp is cCleaner which does a more ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: unable to system restore
    ... Columns and check the boxes before Peak Memory Usage and Virtual Memory ... System Restore to go back to an earlier point in time. ... Norton requires lots of resources in terms of memory and CPU capacity to ... Volume fragmentation ...
  • Re: Vista errors, what should I do next
    ... An unspecified error occurred during System Restore: ... The DNS proxy agent was unable to allocate 0 bytes of memory. ... The DHCP allocator has detected a DHCP server with IP address ... The allocator has disabled itself on the interface to ...
  • Re: Slow Start-up (I know this question has been asked before)
    ... the boxes before Peak Memory Usage and Virtual Memory size. ... Tools, Disk CleanUp, More Options, System Restore and remove ... You can access Event Viewer by selecting Start, Control Panel, ...
  • Explorer.exe Crashes - The memory could not be written - Update! Still Need Help!
    ... people and the only common denominator is the use of WinXP SP1 and possibly ... The memory could not be "written". ... Registered ECC RAM? ... Gone back to several system restore points (even before the last four ...