Re: Computer getting slower and Sysytem Restore no longer works!

I found that this problem was more memory related. Although it is still good
to get rid of junk files you don't need too. I recently bought a new
computer with 2 GB of memory, my old system only had 64MB of memory and it
max out and would use disk space as additional memory, which is way slower
than memory.
Since I got my new mahcine with 2GB of memory, I have never had to swap to
disk
and have not crashed once due to insufficent memory.
So I woiuld suggest you do both, clean up your hard drive and defragment it
and add some extra memory to your computer if you can.

"Bert Kinney" wrote:

Cool, you're welcome.

Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
http://bertk.mvps.org
Member: http://dts-l.org

RonChi wrote:
Thanks to you and Redwood, my computer is now operating normally. I hope it
stays that way! :-)

Thanks again to you both.

Ron

"Bert Kinney" wrote:

You're welcome Ron.

Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
http://bertk.mvps.org
Member: http://dts-l.org

RonChi wrote:
Thank you very much, Bert. You solved my System Restore problem. Now, we'll
see if my other problems are fixed as well after I restore the system to an
earlier date.

Thanks again. This forum is great!

Ron

"Bert Kinney" wrote:

It's working now. There was server problems earlier.

Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
http://bertk.mvps.org
Member: http://dts-l.org

RonChi wrote:
Thanks, Bert, but that link just got me to a " the page cannot be displayed"
page. Could you check that link again. I'd love to be able to read the info
available.

Thanks.

Ron

"Bert Kinney" wrote:

Hi,

Tips Fixes & FAQs - System Restore opens to a blank window!
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/tips.html#BlankWindow

Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
http://bertk.mvps.org
Member: http://dts-l.org

RonChi wrote:
I'm using Windows XP Home Edition on a 2004 Compaq Presario PC. For the past
couple of weeks, the computer has been getting slower the longer I use it,
each time I use it. It starts up and works fine for an hour or so, then it
slows down, becomes difficult to save anything in Word; becomes difficult to
have more than one window open in Word; programs and applications are very
slow in closing, and when I reboot or shut the computer down, it takes
forever to do that too.

I've tried a couple of diagnostic programs, and they find nothing wrong.
I've run anti-virus and anti-spyware programs, and they find nothing wrong
also. I tried System Restore, but it no longer displays a calendar to choose
a restore point from. I've gotten rid of everything I installed in the last
week or so, but that hasn't helped either. Any ideas out there? Thanks.

.