Re: Logon problems with networked laptop

You don't need the domain administrator password to leave the domain. The password that you now need to access the laptop is the password for the Local Administrator account. If the laptop was given to your daughter and is no loger needed for work then you can use a password reset utility:

To access the built-in Administrator account press Ctrl+Alt+Del twice and the logon screen.

Or reinstall Windows if you can't logon.

John

sanzlink wrote:

This was a laptop computer from work, but is not associated with that work anymore. I would presume I could use a password cracking utility on this then? If so, recommendations?

I am the administrator of my workgroup, but I do not know the administrator passwords for the domain associated with work, I am thinking this is the one I would need.

Thanks,

"John John" wrote:

The laptop was previously joined to a domain (at work or at her school/university) By joining the laptop to your workgroup you have broken the trust to the domain. The only way to now logon to the laptop is by way of the built-in local administrator account. If you do not know the password to the account you are done for unless you want to use a password cracking utility. If this is a work laptop you should not use a password cracking utility! She will have to ask her IT person to rejoin the laptop to the domain, you cannot do that by yourself at your end, it has to be done by the domain administrator. This is a common error that many laptop user make, it's no big deal for the domain administrator, he/she has surely dealt with this minor problem before. Your daughter can use your workgroup resources without joining it, the IT guys at work can help her set this up.

If this is not a company laptop then crack the administrator password to logon to the laptop.

John

sanzlink wrote:

I networked my daughter's laptop to the house PC and joined her in our Microsoft workgroup. When I restarted the laptop, the I can not get past the logon screen: "System cannot log you on. Make sure your username and domain are correct, then type password again." I did not change the username or password and I cannot get past this screen to do anything even in safe mode. Any suggestions or do I have to find the CD and reinstall Windows XP Pro?? Thanks for any help....

  • Re: Help! No Domain Drop Down after changing to HomePC Domain
    ... I have windows 2000 on my laptop. ... local administrator password to my laptop is, ... >locally e.g. changed it from a domain to a workgroup. ... >helpdesk or network administrator at work]. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
  • Re: Verification of replication
    ... >>> and even to corruption of the back end data file. ... >> thought was to ask the user for the cases then filter the forms to ... make sure that the users don't log on as an administrator. ... > laptop, and allow it to be administered only when connected to the ...
    (microsoft.public.access.replication)
  • Re: Network - workgroups and domains
    ... >>to more than one domain at a time, nor to more than one workgroup at a time. ... To join your laptop to the domain at work, ... System wizard use the domain administrator ...
  • Re: Logon problems with networked laptop
    ... Thanks for the password cracking utility, ... Obviously, the laptop screen/wallpaper has ... To access the built-in Administrator account press Ctrl+Alt+Del twice ... Or reinstall Windows if you can't logon. ...
  • Re: Locked out due to Security Policy
    ... >I have a similar problem with my client's laptop. ... >password but still can't logon. ... >>Administrator account? ... >>and set its NTFS permissions to Deny Full Control ...