Computer is annoyingly slow

I am trying to help someone with a computer problem and could use some
adivce.

This person says their computer became very slow after they finished
playing a computer game. I cannot figure out why it's so slow.

It's a new (3-4 month old) custom built computer running XP Home. It
has an Intel Core (2-?) Duo processor, 2GB RAM, and a 150GB hard
drive. They use AOL and Norton Internet Security 2005. I did two virus
scans using Norton Anti-virus and the Trend Micro Online scanner and
nothing was found. I did two spyware scans using AOL's spyware scanner
and an online spyware scanner. Some MyWebSearch toolbars were found
and I removed them. Using HijackThis I found a file called ofb1.dll
that is suppposedly a trojan, so I removed/fixed it. I also did a
rootkit scan and nothing was found.

I have checked for conflicts in the Device Manager and everything is
ok. I have disabled Startup items. In the task manager, everything
looks normal. The cpu usage is 2%, System Idle is 99, the memory usage
is low and doesn't look unusual.

I cannot think of anything else that would be causing this slowness.
Now when I say so I mean slow. It takes 30 min to open a folder and
then open an application. It takes over 10 minutes for all the desktop
items to load on a reboot. The only improvement I've seen is that now
when I open task manager, it shows up immediately and all the tabs are
now there. It wasn't coming up a few days ago. I ran defrag and also
chkdsk and no errors were found.

I cannot think of what else could be wrong. Does anyone have any
ideas?

I'd prefer to figure out what is wrong before doing a System Restore.

  • Re: Windows Task Manager and high cpu usage
    ... when i look at the cpu usage through windows task manager it ... the only process showing a high usage is system idle - ...
  • Re: Hard drive appears to be continualy running
    ... Your hard drive / free disk space figures do not add together correctly. ... Download Process Explorer to investigate CPU usage. ... I have re chanked info from task manager and System Idle Process is ...
  • Re: System Idle Process continually running
    ... Process" usage doesn't add to the CPU usage at the bottom of the task manager ... But when it is acting as described above the "System Idle Process" ... Idle Process continually runs with a CPU usage between 69 to 99 percent. ... safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. ...
  • Re: CPU usage in Windows task Manager program
    ... Run the Task Manager, go to View/Select Columns, and turn on the following ... Windows XP Startup Programs Tracker ... > usage so that the most CPU usage was at the top of list, ... > only other figures that appeared there were taskmgr.exe & system idle. ...
  • Re: CPU performance peaks and stalls
    ... Open Task Manager and watch the processes (sort them by the CPU column ... will run when there is an Internet connection. ... Not all programs that reduce their CPU usage when Task Manager is opened ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers)