Re: svchost.exe takes all cpu time

Terry

Download Process Explorer.

For further information about Process Explorer see here:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/SystemInformation/ProcessExplorer.mspx

To ascertain which service is causing the problem select the svchost producing the high CPU usage, right click, select Properties, Services. Note there are the full names and some explanation of what each service does.

You will find further information on Services here:
http://majorgeeks.com/page.php?id=12

To trace the particular Service involved you need to turn off each service in turn and then restore it noting what effect it has on CPU usage. However, you need to take care and watch what other Services are dependent on that service. When you click on the Dependencies tab allow it a little time to display the information.

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England

Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Terry wrote:
Lately when I start my PC it seems to take an excessive time to
get going. When I check the TaskManager I notice one instance of
svchost.exe using almost 100% CPU time. I've run my virus
checker AVG and spyware checker Ad-Aware SE Personal but no
problems found.
From another message I saw that svchost.exe can be used by
trojans and the legit copy is in the windows\system32 folder. I
did a search and found it in 2 other locations -
windows\ServicePackFiles\i386 and
windows\$NtservicePackUninstall$ folders.
I'm running XP Home. Any suggestions other than just wait for
the PC to wake up (it is getting old).

Terry

  • Re: Follow up to the problem.
    ... Manager svchost.exe was using a 100% CPU. ... thread it reports is ntdll.dll!RtlUserThreadStart and suspending this makes ... The sysinternals process explorer has shown itâ??s a single thread causing the ... Post Originated from http://www.VistaForums.com Vista Support Forums ...
  • Re: Yet another SVCHOST.EXE posting (my workaround)
    ... SVCHOST.EXE is an important part of Windows. ... Process Explorer you can see which and that is why I asked about the Command ... about the Windows Automatic Update service -a common cause of excessive CPU ... First off I killed PID 1302 and noticed that CPU usage fell down ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Computer too slow
    ... It happened over night and the startup takes about 20 minutes (Even when I just turn on my computer and the Windows XP logo is shown with the progression bar running, ... When previously I went to the service center for the same problem, the engineer mentioned to me that this is caused by one of the registry entries corrupted and the coordination between the drives, cd drives and all other internal components are not running properly thats why things are so slow and he also mentioned that fixing it is pretty easy and that all we have to do is delete the registry entry and restart the computer and Windows XP will automatically reinstall the registry entry by itself and all would be fine - he did it and proved to me that it worked and well, it DID work. ... To find and display what could be the problem try Process Explorer: ... In the column on the left named 'CPU', look for any high CPU usage. ...
  • Re: Does a Repair Install Affect Performance?
    ... I suggest you try cCleaner. ... CPU shot up to 80%+ for about 12 seconds while it started. ... > IE, iTunes, Microsoft Antispyware and Process Explorer itself. ... >>>> Sometimes CPU usage spikes when lots of apps open, ...
  • Re: Does a Repair Install Affect Performance?
    ... CPU shot up to 80%+ for about 12 seconds while it started. ... IE, iTunes, Microsoft Antispyware and Process Explorer itself. ... I have McAfee VirusScan and Personal Firewall Plus running permanently. ... >>> "OMCI Device Driver" supplied by Dell Corp. ...