Re: New XP box will only boot in safe mode?

I want to share my experience with this issue:

I too can reboot this PC and during the boot up process I see the post.
After the post the scrren stays blank but the power light on the
monitor stays green like it is recieving a signal but no picture is
presented on the monitor. I have memorized the key strokes to do a
shutdown. If I do those the computer shutsdown just like it should. I
see the hard drive ligh flashing and when it is complete all the lights
on the tower turn off the the monitor power light goes orange. I
belive that the PC is actually running during the blank screen phase
there is just no visual representation of windows xp.

I Called Dell and they said to disable the SATA DVD drive. That seemed
to work but of course I cannot leave it that way. They also suggested
to install a symantec upgrade at http://tinyurl.com/yckf2z. This seems
like grasping at straws but I want to ensure all they suggest is done.
I rebooted several times and it seems to be working. This is not the
first time I have left the site when it looked like all was going to
work. One final note when I would reboot the optiplex and the screen
would stay blank I could unplug the video cable from the video card and
plug it back in the the screen would display the windows xp logon
screen as it should have. I know that Dell is working on this but does
not have a clear resolution yet.

dean.carrefour wrote:
I wanted to post an update on this situation. I spent about 3.5 hours on the
phone with Dell today on this. Apparently there is a bios update (2.0.8)
which resolves this problem...for most people, in fact it did resolve the
issue on the other machine that had the identical problem and worked for
about 3 reboots on first machine. I did determine that if I disable the SATA
optical drive (Toshiba CD-RW/DVD-ROM) in the bios, I could get the machine to
boot normally, which is the only way I could apply this bios update (can't
install it in safe mode).

So, for anyone else with this problem, try the bios update available on the
dell website and specific to the OptiPlex's. They are shipping me a new hard
drive and optical drive (different model) and I am sending mine in so they
can study the issue further.

Dean...

"Gerry Cornell" wrote:

Dean

What happens if you start again and put everything on except
eCopy? What versions of eCopy are on the older machines that
work? Do you have any support arrangements covering eCopy?
I could not see a Knowledge Base on the eCopy site.

Adobe is mentioned on the Copy site. There have been unresolved
problems reported with Adobe Acrobat Reader 7 and I read
that there are bugs with v8 just released.

Are the three computers networked? I imagine yes. You are
isolating one computer from the network to test it?

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England

Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"dean.carrefour" <deancarrefour@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in
message news:2A0BF5C8-B94A-449F-B722-A10127647D6F@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I don't have any other peripheral connected besides keyboard, mouse and
monitor. Also, this is happening on two identical, new machines with
the
same problem.

Dean

"Gerry Cornell" wrote:

Dean

Try disconnecting all peripherals, except keyboard, mouse, and
monitor and boot in normal mode. If that works try reconnecting
hardware one item at a time. If it doesn't work try swapping in
different keyboard, mouse and monitor, until you get one
combination does boot in normal mode.

This link may give some further ideas:
http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page2.html#Hardware_Tshoot

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England

Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"dean.carrefour" <deancarrefour@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in
message news:7109E141-27D4-4FF1-A167-2544476A89C4@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
It doesn't boot far enough to write to the event logs. I looked in
those
yesterday. Thats part of why I'm stumped, I can't gather enough
diagnostic
info to trace the problem down. When I try to boot it normally, it
doesn't
even make it far enough to start the event log.

If I boot it in safe mode, it writes the normal 'information'
events
to the
log and one DCOM error about a service that can't be started in
safe
mode,
but thats it.

"Gerry Cornell" wrote:

Dean

Check the Error Reports in the System / Application logs in Event
Viewer. Please post copies.

You can access Event Viewer by selecting Start, Administrative
Tools,
Event Viewer. When researching the meaning of the error,
information
regarding Event ID, Source and Description are important.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308427&Product=winxp

A tip for posting copies of Error Reports! Run Event Viewer and
double
click on the error you want to copy. In the window, which appears
is
button resembling two pages. Double click the button and close
Event
Viewer. Now start your message (email) and do a paste into the
body
of
the message. This will paste the info from the Event Viewer Error
Report
complete with links into the message. Make sure this is the first
paste
after exiting from Event Viewer.

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England

Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"dean.carrefour" <deancarrefour@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote
in
message news:B1617EB9-E308-456B-A283-8812CEE1732D@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Ok, this is a brand new box from Dell, an Optiplex 745 with the
Core 2
Duo
chip. Actually I have two identical boxes I'm setting up
simultaneously and
they are both having this problem. I plugged it in, stared
applying
all of
the updates and patches for XP Pro and Office XP 2003 Pro. Once
that
was
done I had to install a couple of applications that some of the
machines here
in the office run. All of that was fine and dandy like normal.
Then
installed a program called eCopy from Cannon. It allows us to
interact with
a Cannon Document Management station (big copier, scanner, fax,
etc.).
We
install that application, then two (network) print drivers (one
printer, one
fax). This is on several machines here, has been for several
years.

I just fdisked another machine last week and installed all of
this
same
software on it without problems, same OS, etc.

After installing the last driver, you must reboot, so I restared
the
machine. I get the XP bootup screen (black background, pulsing
blue
status
indicator), as soon as that screen goes away, the screen goes
black/blank and
thats all she wrote.

I have rebooted in safe mode and done system restore points back
before I
installed eCopy and its printer drivers, with no change, reboot
and
it
hangs
after the XP boot screen. I have also tried this in 'safe with
networking'
with the same results.

I have ran msconfig and done a clean boot and it still hangs, as
does
'last
known good configuration'. The only way the machine(s) will
boot
is
in safe
mode.

How can I determine what it is that is hosing these machines so
that I
can
fix the problem?

I've tried making a boot log, but it hangs during boot and then
have
reboot in safe mode to get it to come up.

As the machine sits right now, the eCopy program doesn't show up
in
'all
programs' or the 'add/remove programs', neither do the drivers,
so
can't
see anything to remove/delete/uninstall to resolve the problem.

Any help is appreciated.

Dean...

  • Re: OEM version of xp from 98se
    ... if I go to reboot (which I assume ... setup to change boot on floppy to boot on cd, ... >To Repair a Windows XP Installation using Recovery ... >>I have an oem version of xp to install. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)
  • Re: WinXP Pro SP2 Booting Issue - Toshiba Core2 Duo Laptop
    ... the System and Application logs in Event Viewer for the last boot. ... You can access Event Viewer by selecting Start, Control Panel, ... View and Manage Event Logs in Event Viewer in Windows XP ... WinXP SP2 patches wouldn't install with Windows Update. ...
  • Re: New XP system hangs after OSloader screen
    ... boot normally, which is the only way I could apply this bios update (can't ... install it in safe mode). ... After installing the last driver, you must reboot, so I restared the ... I have rebooted in safe mode and done system restore points back to before I ...
  • Re: Scientific Calculators
    ... Well, you could say "you can use any laptop, as long as it can boot this ... Install the ... they *could* reboot back to their ... access to his real system. ...
    (rec.arts.sf.written)
  • Re: Help! Issues Installing XP MCE!
    ... >> that the boot Partition iis corrupt on not accepting changes from Win98 ... >>> I also tried it with a Windows XP Pro upgrade, ... >>> Friend of mine tried to install Windows 2000 Pro. ... >>> would reboot. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)