Re: A program could not start - remote assistance error

Also, here is a copy of the sessmgr.setup.log I found in the system32 folder.
It shows that the service was uninstalled near the bottom, however,
attempting to reinstall it did not work. Hopefully, this log file may aid in
my resolution =)

********* Install/uninstall sessmgr service *********
Installing sessmgr service
HelpAssistant account name - HelpAssistant

Entering UpgradeSessmgr
Setting policy registry key
B1 policy key does not exist
Setting fAllowGetHelp policy key result - 0
Leaving UpgradeSessmgr
Successfully setup account

Entering CServiceModule::RegisterServer 1, 1
Installing service...

Entering CServiceModule::IsInstalled()
OpenService() failed with 1060
Leaving IsInstalled() - 0

Entering CServiceModule::Install()...

Entering CServiceModule::IsInstalled()
OpenService() failed with 1060
Leaving IsInstalled() - 0
Leaving CServiceModule::Install() - 0
successfully installing service...

Entering CServiceModule::IsInstalled()
OpenService() Succeeded
Leaving IsInstalled() - 1
Exiting RemoveEventViewerSource() with status code 2...
Leaving CServiceModule::RegisterServer 0x00000000

Entering CreatePendingHelpTable
CreatePendingHelpTable() return 0

*** Finish Setup with Status 0x00000000 ***

********* Install/uninstall sessmgr service *********
Uninstalling sessmgr service
Delete pending table return 5
Initialize help account return 0x00000000
Delete help account return 0x00000000

Entering CServiceModule::UnregisterServer

Entering CServiceModule::Uninstall()...

Entering CServiceModule::IsInstalled()
OpenService() Succeeded
Leaving IsInstalled() - 1
Leaving CServiceModule::Uninstall()
Leaving CServiceModule::UnregisterServer() - 0x00000000
UnregisterServer() returns 0x00000000

*** Finish Setup with Status 0x00000000 ***

"Anthony" wrote:

Ramesh,

The Remote Desktop Help Session Manager service is not listed in the
services console. Here is what is listed in the same area alphabetically
however:

-Remote Access Auto Connection Manager
-Remote Access Connection Manager
-Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
-Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Locator
-Remote Registry

Anthony

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

Anthony,

Is the Remote Desktop Help Session Manager service now listed, after running the Sessionmgr command-line? Also check the Event log for any errors. It can sometimes provide vital clues on RA failures.

--
Regards,

Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
Windows® XP Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com

"Anthony" <Anthony@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:B07162E2-623E-43F8-80D2-4016E65EC8AB@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Ramesh,

I just gave article #900904 a shot and it did not resolve the issue. The
error message "a program could not start" appears when trying to solicite a
remote assistance invitation.

I first checked System Properties to ensure both the remote assitance check
box is checked. I also went through computer management and verified the
"remote desktop help session manager" service is not listed. I then tried
"sessmgr.exe –service" from run dialog box. Nothing seemed to happen after
that last step. I restarted the computer and the service is still not listed
as well as remote assistance failing.

Any other recommendations? Thanks!

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

You're welcome Anthony. Good luck and keep us posted.

--

.