Re: Virtual Memory & NAV 2007

In short, look into upgrading your RAM to at least 512. Depending on what programs you have running, what programs are starting up during boot up and Norton running in the background; it would help you out tremendously to upgrade your RAM to at least 512.

--
Michael D. Alligood,
MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,

"marinusw" <marinusw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:6A778F86-6ABF-4903-9590-4F6138CDF099@xxxxxxxxxxxxx:

Sorry for the cross post. I'm not as up on the protocals as others I guess.

Basic system info is on the other post, but let me repeat here:

16GB free on the HD, 384 MB RAM, 2GHz CPU, and XP Home with SP2.

Thanks again.

------------

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> [...]
>
> If your problem turns out to be one of "lack of space", then the suggestions
> above *do* get you started, but there is more you can do to free up disk
> space.
>
> Cleaning up the drive and figuring out what is using all of your
> space isn't too hard. Many tools are built right into Windows XP. Some
> others may not be. Some default settings may be messing you up and taking
> up some of your valuable space.
>
> Find out what might be using the space..
>
> Do you have hidden and system files visible?
> How's your system restore settings?
> Used Disk Cleanup?
> Is hibernate turned on and do you use that feature?
> Uninstalled unnecessary applications lately?
> Moved things to external media?
>

> Other ways to free up space..
>
> SequoiaView
> http://www.win.tue.nl/sequoiaview/
>
> DX Hog Hunt
> http://www.dvxp.com/en/Downloads.aspx
>
> JDiskReport
> http://www.jgoodies.com/freeware/jdiskreport/index.html
>
> Those can help you visually discover where all the space is being used.
>

> If you are comfortable with the stability of your system, you can delete the
> uninstall files for the patches that Windows XP has installed..
>
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/spack.htm
>

> You can use an application that scans your system for log files and
> temporary files and use that to get rid of those:
>
> Ccleaner (Free!)
> http://www.ccleaner.com/
>

> You can run Disk Cleanup - built into Windows XP - to erase all but yuor
> latest restore point and cleanup even more "loose files"..
>
> How to use Disk Cleanup
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310312
>

> You can turn off hibernation if it is on and you don't use it..
>
> When you hibernate your computer, Windows saves the contents of the system's
> memory to the hiberfil.sys file. As a result, the size of the hiberfil.sys
> file will always equal the amount of physical memory in your system. If you
> don't use the hibernate feature and want to recapture the space that Windows
> uses for the hiberfil.sys file, perform the following steps:
>
> - Start the Control Panel Power Options applet (go to Start, Settings,
> Control Panel, and click Power Options).
> - Select the Hibernate tab, clear the "Enable hibernation" check box, then
> click OK; although you might think otherwise, selecting Never under the
> "System hibernates" option on the Power Schemes tab doesn't delete the
> hiberfil.sys file.
> - Windows will remove the "System hibernates" option from the Power Schemes
> tab and delete the hiberfil.sys file.
>

> You can control how much space your System Restore can use...
>
> 1. Click Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
> 2. Click the System Restore tab.
> 3. Highlight one of your drives (or C: if you only have one) and click on
> the "Settings" button.
> 4. Change the percentage of disk space you wish to allow.. I suggest 5% or

  • Re: Service Pack 2 SP2 PC Speed Slowdown
    ... regarding System Restore and Disk CleanUp. ... Temporary Internet Files, Offline Web Pages, System Restore ( ... may be especially noticed by those upgrading to Windows XP from an earlier ... Are there any error messages in Event Viewer? ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Virtual Memory & NAV 2007
    ... getting frequent low virtual memory notices. ... Use Disk Cleanup, Chkdsk and Defrag to clear up space (including ... Many tools are built right into Windows XP. ... When you hibernate your computer, Windows saves the contents of the system's ...
  • Re: Virtual memory & NAV 2007
    ... getting frequent low Virtual memory notices. ... Use Disk Cleanup, Chkdsk and Defrag to clear up space (including ... Many tools are built right into Windows XP. ... When you hibernate your computer, Windows saves the contents of the system's ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Cleaning up C drive
    ... Reduce the space used by System Restore. ... Windows. ... When you hibernate your computer, Windows saves the contents of the ... You can control how much space your Temporary Internet Files can ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: unable to free disk space
    ... Many tools are built right into Windows XP. ... Used Disk Cleanup? ... When you hibernate your computer, Windows saves the contents of the system's ... Highlight one of your drives and click on ...