Re: 16 Bit Error

Paul,

Glad you got it fixed.

Something was wrong with the download. This happens all of the time. If
you download something, the file may split into many parts and travel 11
different ways around the world to get to you. There is always a
possibility for something to happen.

Something else was wrong on your machine. We will never know, because it
was just lumped in with whatever the Repair Install did.

In the future, whenever you have problems with some file that you
downloaded, delete it and download it again. ;-)

Keep having fun.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:lsidnVQlwfUy7ZzYnZ2dnUVZ_sGdnZ2d@xxxxxxxxxxx,
Paul <paulbylin@xxxxxxxxxxx> hunted and pecked:
It's working! I have no idea what happened, but it is working like it's
supposed to.

After I replaced both .ini files I re-booted but it did nothing to solve
the problem. So I once again, as a final attempt to avoid a complete
re-install of windows, used my WinXP Pro disc and did a repair. After it
was completed, I tried the programs I had previously downloaded but would
not install, and it still did not work. (BTW, these programs were the
following: Storm Predator update; Ad-Aware; CounterSpy and a2Squared
Anti-Malware. All these programs gave me the same 16 bit error) I decided
to re-download the Storm Predator update and try one more time. When I
downloaded it, it had a regular Storm Predator icon, where as the first
few times I downloaded it, it had an icon that looked square. So I tried
installing it and it worked! What the..? So I redownloaded the rest and
everything worked!

I really does bother me not knowing what caused the problem, and even
more, what cured the problem.

No matter what, I would like to thank you very much for all your
assistance with this.
"Paul" <paulbylin@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
I do have the pss folder and replaced both .ini files, but still
nothing.....

"Wesley Vogel" <123WVogel955@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Hi Paul,

Maybe.

XP only has those two files for backwards compatibility with OLD 16 bit
MS-DOS programs.

System Configuration Utility (msconfig.exe)
WIN.INI and SYSTEM.INI tabs
[[On these two tabs, you can enable or disable services and startup
programs
meant for earlier versions of Windows. Both the systemroot\System.ini
and systemroot\Win.ini files are not required by Windows XP and
these files are maintained only for compatibility with older software
that
does not use the registry to save settings. The System.ini file is used
start and store information for drivers and services; the Win.ini file
plays
a similar role for applications.]]

[[SYSTEM.INI is the old windows location for listing system files to be
loaded, such as drivers and fonts.

The windows registry has taken over the primary functions of win.ini and
system.ini. These are just left for backwards compatibility. These files
are
still loaded and processed but there is much less data in them since
post Windows 3.1.]]

If you have this key, XP will look at system.ini...
NT\CurrentVersion\IniFileMapping\system.ini\boot
Value Name: Shell
Value Type: REG_SZ
Value Data: SYS:Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
-------------------

My system.ini.

Notice the lack of colons in mine?
You're missing the semi colon on your first line.
A semi colon REMS out the line so it doesn't get prcessed at all.
----------------
; for 16-bit app support
[drivers]
wave=mmdrv.dll
timer=timer.drv
[mci]
[driver32]
[386enh]
woafont=dosapp.FON
EGA80WOA.FON=EGA80WOA.FON
EGA40WOA.FON=EGA40WOA.FON
CGA80WOA.FON=CGA80WOA.FON
CGA40WOA.FON=CGA40WOA.FON
------------------

My win.ini.

Notice the lack of colons in mine here too?
You're missing the semi colon on your first line here also.

I have this line
OptionsFile=c:\progra~1\scansoft\paperp~1\config\maxopts.ini
because I have a 16 bit program, paperport.

I have this line
Program.exe=C:\Program Files\CMH Software\The
Constructor\Constructor.EXE because I have a 16 bit program,
Constructor.EXE. ------------------
; for 16-bit app support
[fonts]
[extensions]
[mci extensions]
[files]
[Mail]
MAPI=1
[MCI Extensions.BAK]
aif=MPEGVideo
aifc=MPEGVideo
aiff=MPEGVideo
asf=MPEGVideo2
asx=MPEGVideo2
au=MPEGVideo
m1v=MPEGVideo
m3u=MPEGVideo2
mp2=MPEGVideo
mp2v=MPEGVideo
mp3=MPEGVideo2
mpa=MPEGVideo
mpe=MPEGVideo
mpeg=MPEGVideo
mpg=MPEGVideo
mpv2=MPEGVideo
snd=MPEGVideo
wax=MPEGVideo2
wm=MPEGVideo2
wma=MPEGVideo2
wmv=MPEGVideo2
wmx=MPEGVideo2
wvx=MPEGVideo2
wpl=MPEGVideo
[SciCalc]
layout=0
UseSep=1
[MaxMate]
OptionsFile=c:\progra~1\scansoft\paperp~1\config\maxopts.ini
[MSUCE]
Advanced=1
CodePage=Unicode
Font=Times New Roman
[programs]
Program.exe=C:\Program Files\CMH Software\The
Constructor\Constructor.EXE NOTEPAD.EXE=C:\WINDOWS\notepad.exe
-------------

See if you have a folder called C:\WINDOWS\pss

C:\WINDOWS\pss should have win.ini.backup and system.ini.backup. They
would
have been created when you installed XP.

You can copy both win.ini.backup and system.ini.backup and paste them to
your Desktop.
Change the names to: win.ini and system.ini
Drag both of them into C:\WINDOWS and answer YES to the Do you want to
replace prompt.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:5MudnXmCT8_nHZ3YnZ2dnUVZ_vCdnZ2d@xxxxxxxxxxx,
Paul <paulbylin@xxxxxxxxxxx> hunted and pecked:
Would/could the System.Ini or Win.ini have anything to do with this
problem?

My System.Ini file:
for 16-bit app support :
[drivers] :
wave=mmdrv.dll :
timer=timer.drv :
[mci] :
[driver32] :
[386enh] :
woafont=dosapp.FON :
EGA80WOA.FON=EGA80WOA.FON :
EGA40WOA.FON=EGA40WOA.FON :
CGA80WOA.FON=CGA80WOA.FON :
CGA40WOA.FON=CGA40WOA.FON :

And my Win.Ini file:
for 16-bit app support :
[fonts] :
[extensions] :
[mci extensions] :
[files] :
[MCI Extensions.BAK] :
aif=MPEGVideo :
aifc=MPEGVideo :
aiff=MPEGVideo :
asf=MPEGVideo :
asx=MPEGVideo :
au=MPEGVideo :
m1v=MPEGVideo :
m3u=MPEGVideo :
mp2=MPEGVideo :
mp2v=MPEGVideo :
mp3=MPEGVideo :
mpa=MPEGVideo :
mpe=MPEGVideo :
mpeg=MPEGVideo :
mpg=MPEGVideo :
mpv2=MPEGVideo :
snd=MPEGVideo :
wax=MPEGVideo :
wm=MPEGVideo :
wma=MPEGVideo :
wmv=MPEGVideo :
wmx=MPEGVideo :
wpl=MPEGVideo :
wvx=MPEGVideo :
[Software by Design] :
Error Messages for Windows=v2.9 :
[Mail] :
MAPI=1 :
CMC=1 :
CMCDLLNAME=mapi.dll :
CMCDLLNAME32=mapi32.dll :
MAPIX=1 :
MAPIXVER=1.0.0.1 :
OLEMessaging=1 :

The first line in each of them has me a little curious... but not sure
if
I understand them correctly...

"Paul" <paulbylin@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
I tried the EXE File Association Fix but still nothing.... not looking
good for me right about now....

"Wesley Vogel" <123WVogel955@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
SP-Install.exe is the StormPredator TRIAL.

I just downloaded it.

SP-Install.exe is a Setup Application.

SP-Install.exe size is 6.6 MB (38,469,468 bytes)

It is NOT a 16-bit program, because its Properties has a Version tab.

From Version tab...
Created with Setup Factory 7.0
Version 7.0.5.1
Internal name is suf70_launch
English (United States)
Setup Factory is a trademark of Indigo Rose Corporation.
Original file name is suf70_launch.exe
Product name is Setup Factory 7.0 Runtime

I double clicked SP-Install.exe, SP-Install.exe and irsetup.exe
started
and
got this message...
---------------------------
Notice
---------------------------
The following minimum system requirements for this setup were not
met: Operating System: Windows 2000 SP4 (or newer), Windows XP SP2
(or newer)
RAM: 512 MB
Click OK to continue or Cancel to abort the setup.
---------------------------
OK Cancel
---------------------------

I do not have SP2 and I do not have that much RAM.

irsetup.exe is part of Setup Factory.

Some folks on the web claim that irsetup.exe is spyware. The Indigo
Rose Staff claim that it is NOT spyware.

<quote>
The file IRSETUP.EXE is not adware. It is actually part of the
extremely
common Setup Factory 6.0 installer builder product by Indigo Rose
Software
(www.indigorose.com). It is extracted to a temp folder when running a
setup.exe created by Setup Factory 6.0 and used to handle the main
installation tasks. It is deleted at the end of the installation
process
or
at the next system reboot at the latest.

Setup Factory 6.0 is used by *millions* of setup.exe's and many
thousands of
companies. The IRSETUP.EXE file itself is definitely not adware.
<quote>
------

Try this.

Go here...

Windows® XP File Association Fixes
Copyright 2003 - Doug Knox

Read the instructions. Then get...

EXE File Association Fix (Restore default association for EXE files)

It cannot hurt anything, it'll either help or do nothing.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:5ZKdnVuDwrVd3mLZnZ2dnUVZ_rKdnZ2d@xxxxxxxxxxx,
Paul <paulbylin@xxxxxxxxxxx> hunted and pecked:
I did two different things to see the program name...
1. I just clicked as if I was installing the program and it
flashes
pretty quickly, but it was the path to the filie I clicked
(C:\documents and settings\...\SP Install.exe)
2. I also right clicked on the program and clicked "Run As" and it
let
me
see the header, which is 16 Bit MS-DOS Subsystem. Then it gives me
the
following:
C:\Documents and Settings\...\Desktop\SP-INS~1.exe
C:\Documents and settings\...\LocalS~1\Temp\ A temporary file needed
for the initialization could not be created or could not be written
to.
Make
sure that the directory path exists, and disk space is available.
Choose
'Close' to terminate the application. The I have the option to
either
click Close or Ignore. No matter which one I click on it just
terminates.

When I go to Start - Run and type command, I get the MS-Dos window.

The path to C:\Documents and settings\...\LocalSettings\Temp\ does
exist,
and I do have plenty of hard drive space.

As you suggested, I went to
http://www.windowsbbs.com/showthread.php?t=56221 and read the thread
there. Unfortunately I am begining to believe I need to re-install
windows. I hope I can do this without losing everything.

Is it possible for me to do a re-install that 'may' cure my problems
and not lose everything?

I certainly do appreciate all the advice and help you have given me
so
far.... thank you!

"Wesley Vogel" <123WVogel955@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Hi Paul,

The 16 Bit MS-DOS Subsystem error may also show the program.

I.e. 16 Bit MS-DOS Subsystem some program name.

Does it? If so, what is the program name?

What happens when you click Start, click Run, type: command and
click
OK?

Does the MS-DOS prompt open?

It should be obvious that I do not know what exactly is wrong.

You have ruled out malware.

--------
Hidden console of wowvdm
C:\Temp\. A temporary file needed for initialization could not be
created
or
could not be written to. Make sure that the directory path exists
and
disk space is available. Choose Close to terminate the application

CAUSE
The Temp directory does not exist or does not have sufficient
permissions, or there is not enough hard disk space available.

RESOLUTION
Verify that the C:\Documents and Settings\....\Local Settings\Temp
directory
exists and the Everybody group has full control of the folder.

Paraphrased from...
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/223336

Make sure that you have enough free space on your hard drive.

See this for Permissions on the C:\Documents and
Settings\....\Local Settings\Temp folder...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

-----
Maybe also see this. Keep in mind that the path is different with
their
problem and they are trying to install a 16-bit program on
purpose....

16 BIT WINDOWS SUBSYSTEM
C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\TEMP\
A temporary file needed for initialization could not be created or
could
not
be written to. Make sure that the directory path exists, and disk
space is available. Choose "close' to terminate the application.
http://www.windowsbbs.com/showthread.php?t=56221

-------------

%systemdrive%\temp\. A temporary file needed for initialization
could
not
be
created or could not be written to. Make sure that the directory
path
exists, and disk space is available. Choose 'Close' to terminate
the application.

MORE INFORMATION
This message usually appears when the client has run out of disk
space, which causes the 16-bit subsystem to fail.
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=213289

Disk space may be a theme here.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:nI-dnbR-qNdWn2LZnZ2dnUVZ_tKdnZ2d@xxxxxxxxxxx,
Paul <paulbylin@xxxxxxxxxxx> hunted and pecked:
I just found out that Storm Predator is not a 16 bit program....

"Paul" <paulbylin@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
I'm really not sure if Storm Predator is a 16 bit program or not,
however
other programs I have tried to install give me the same error.
Ad-Aware;
Counterspy; a2 Anti Malware all give the same error. (I tried to
install
these to check for trojans...).

I did a scan for the keywords you suggested, but nothing showed
up.

I am realy at a loss as what do do about this.

Again, thanks for such a quick response.

C:\Documents and Settings\....\Local Settings\Temp\
is the same thing as %tmp% or %userprofile%\Local Settings\Temp

Paste either one into Start | Run and see what opens.

MDAC (Microsoft Data Access Components) can create jet.tmp
files. So
can Avast antivirus.

smlogsvc.exe = Performance Logs and Alerts Service can create
Perflib_Perfdataxxx.dat files.

Programs such as EasyCleaner can create Perflib_Perfdataxxx.dat
files.

XP will not let you delete files that are in use, even if they
are
temporary
files.

Perflib stands for Performance Library. Perfdata stands for
Performance
Data.

The %SystemRoot%\System32\Perflib_Perfdataxxx.dat files are
created
by
the
System Monitor. And/or
%userprofile%\Local Settings\Temp\Perflib_Perfdataxxx.dat.
or
C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name Here\Local
Settings\Temp\Perflib_Perfdataxxx.dat. When you shutdown
normally,
the file
should be deleted.

IE7 is a beta program. There could be all kinds of strange
things
that it
may be doing.

As you are already aware, malware can create files that do not
normally exists on XP.

Do a Search on your machine, see this on...
HOW TO: Search For Hidden Or System Files In Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/302347

for the following files:

CMD.COM
NETSTAT.COM
PING.COM
REGEDIT.COM
TASKKILL.COM
TASKLIST.COM
TRACERT.COM
command.exe

Delete any that you find. None of them belong on an XP machine.

You still did not answer my question:

Is Storm Predator a 16-bit program?

If it is not, you have other problems.

16 Bit MS-DOS Subsystem relates to command.com which uses
autoexec.nt
and config.nt.

Command.com is the only legitimate program that comes with XP
that
uses autoexec.nt and config.nt. Command.com is the MS-DOS
Prompt.
Used with
OLD
16-bit MS-DOS programs.

However if any .com file tries to launch, Windows thinks that it
needs
autoexec.nt or config.nt.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:R_adneAZgaMwfGDZnZ2dnUVZ_uudnZ2d@xxxxxxxxxxx,
Paul <paulbylin@xxxxxxxxxxx> hunted and pecked:
Ok, I cleaned out all (well almost all) of my temp files.
There really
weren't many. However, in the C:\Documents and
Settings\....\Local Settings\Temp\ folder there are a bunch
(approximately 15 or so Jet##.tmp
files and a perflib perfdata_768.dat file that will not delete.
have
"delete on boot" utility that I tried using, but the files just
got re-created.
I forgot to mention that I am using IE7 (Updated) in case that
makes
any difference.

Also, I am still getting the 16 bit error...again, any
suggestions
would be most welcome.

Thanks so much for the quick response also!

"Wesley Vogel" <123WVogel955@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Clean out your Temporary Internet Files.

To delete *all* of your Temporary Internet Files...

1) Start | Run | Type: inetcpl.cpl | Click OK
Or right click the Internet Explorer icon on your Desktop
Or Start | Settings | Control Panel | Internet Options
Best to do this with all instances of Internet Explorer
closed. Especially
if there are a large number of files. Also close OE.
2) On the General Tab, in the middle of the screen, click on
Files
3) Check the box: Delete all offline content {This cleans >>
%userprofile%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files
AND
%userprofile%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet
Files\Content.IE5
and \Content.MSO (Created by an MS Office program)}
4) Click on OK and wait for the hourglass icon to stop after
it deletes the
temporary internet files
5) You can now click on Delete Cookies and click OK to delete
cookies that websites have placed on your hard drive.
6) You can also click on the Clear History button to empty
your History folder.

Also clean out both Temporay folders.

Start | Run | Type: temp | Click OK

Start | Run | Type: %tmp% | Click OK

Is Storm Predator a 16-bit program?

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:CKSdndRku5zFV2DZnZ2dnUVZ_sGdnZ2d@xxxxxxxxxxx,
Paul <paulbylin@xxxxxxxxxxx> hunted and pecked:
A strange problem has happened to me and I am at a loss as to
how to fix
it. I am a disabled vet and am also an amatuer weather
watcher.
use a
perogram called Storm Predator on my computer and have been
for
quite
some
time. I recently downloaded an update for it and tried to
install
it. However, when I try I get the following error:
(Header of the message) 16 Bit MS-DOS Subsystem
"C:\Documents and Settings\....\Local Settings\Temp\ A
tem[porary
filed
needed for the initialization could not be created or could
not
be
written
to. Make sure the directory path exists, and that disk space
is
available."

The path does exist, and I have plenty of hard drive space
available.

I went to the Microsoft Knowledge Base and tried replacing
the Autoexec.nt; Command Com; and config.nt files as they
suggested,
but I still get the error.

I downloaded from Kellys Corner (I believe it was called) a
file
named "XP
Profiles.EXE"...still nothing.

I tried running chkdsk /r with no results....

I did a Windows XP Pro repair....

I use Trend Micro Internet Security Suite and it is always up
date. I did run a full scan in safe mode....

I ran Spy Bot Search and Destroy in safe mode (with the
definitions
updated)....

I ran Kasperskys on line scan for trojans....

Cleaned out all temp files and junk....

I also tried running Ad-Aware that "was" installed on my
computer.
However, when I went to run it, I noticed the executible was
missing!
(Very strange) I went to Lavasoft's web site and downloaded
another
copy
of it, but guess what? I can't install it because of the 16
bit
error I
keep getting.

I spend a lot of time at my computer and could really use
some help
solving this mystery.

Please, any suggestions would be more than welcome as I have
tried
just
about everything I know.

Thanks so much!

My Computer:
Windows XP Pro w/ SP2
I gig RAM
120 Gig HD (with approx 64 percent of that space available)

  • RE: Lost My Desktop
    ... Some of this does not apply if you have Windows XP SP2. ... Make sure of these settings and nothing will install without you ... Enable Install On Demand (Internet Explorer) ... [[Specifies to automatically download and install Web components if a Web ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: FTC Complaint filed
    ... There is no way to limit what M$ wants to install on your system because they hide the descriptions, ... And they don't need that particular download at all to put more copy protection code on your pc. ... I have long said, in my opinion and pre-Vista, that Windows 95 was the best OS Microsoft ever made. ... should be with your PCB software maker. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsmedia.player)
  • Re: 16 Bit Error
    ... Setup Factory is a trademark of Indigo Rose Corporation. ... MS-MVP Windows Shell/User ... sure that the directory path exists, and disk space is available. ... problem and they are trying to install a 16-bit program on purpose.... ...
  • Re: 16 Bit Error
    ... and disk space is available. ... The 16 Bit MS-DOS Subsystem error may also show the program. ... Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP ... problem and they are trying to install a 16-bit program on purpose.... ...
  • Solution for 646
    ... Before you install the update, click on the link on the page (cannot remember ... I have been trying to download updatees for widows vista. ... "Windows encountered an unknown error" error 646.any suggestions as what to ... that button then run or save the installer package then proceed to execute ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)