Re: Cannot associate PDF files with Acrobat Reader

This is a different problem, Howard. Can you post the file association info
for .PDF ?

See: FileExtInfo - View the association settings for a file type easily:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/fileextinfo.htm

--
Regards,

Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
Windows® XP Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com

"Howard - JC Publishing" <HowardJCPublishing@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote in message news:6CC7D578-8C01-469D-A7F7-66F54428D3BE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Our problem is a bit different but releated. Since installing SP2 on one of
our computers, a pdf file attached to an email will not open although Adobe
Reader is installed. The error says the file type is not linked to a
program. However, if we save the attached pdf file to the desktop, it opens
properly. The starnge things is a different computer that had SP2
previously
does not have that problem. Very strange. Any assistance will be greatly
appreciated.

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

Jason,

Login as Administrator, and then use the OpenWithAdd utility below to
register the "AcroRd32.exe" with the open-with dialog once.

Registering a program with the "Open With" dialog:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/openwithadd.htm

--
Regards,

Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
Windows® XP Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com

"Jason" <Jason@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
I have a user who all of a sudden cannot open PDF files. I looked on her
computer and any PDF file just shows up as a Windows defualt file icon and
there was no file association set up for the PDF extension. I verified
that
Acrobat Reader 7.0 was installed.

I right-clicked on the file and chose "Open With", but Acrobat Reader was
not listed. I clicked on Browse and browsed out to the Acrobat Reader
executable, but after I selected it, Acrobat Reader never showed up in the
list of programs to use in opening the files.

I opened up Windows Explorer and went to Tools->Folder Options and then
clicked on File Types. I scrolled down to the PDF extension and it showed
no
program assigned to it. When I clicked on the Change button, it took me
the same "Open With" window and I still had the same issue of not being
able
to get Acrobat Reader to show up. Back on the File Types window I clicked
on
the Reset button, but it just associated PDF with Notepad.

I uninstalled Acrobat Reader and then reinstalled it, but I still had the
same issue. I noticed that if I logged in as myself, then the association
was correct, but not while logged in as her. Does her profile just need
be created? Also, if I opened Acrobat Reader and then went to File->Open
and
selected a PDF file, then it opened fine, but still did not allow me to
associate the PDF extension with Acrobat Reader. As far as I know,
nothing
was changed on this computer. It was working just the other day and now
it's
not. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jason

  • Re: Windows XP Service Pack 2
    ... With regards to the antivirus warning: You can double-click on the "warning ... The easiest way I know to correct this is to uninstall the Adobe ... If you are already running the latest version of the adobe acrobat reader ... Make sure the checkboxes for "Display PDF in browser" and "Check Browser ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Folder for Open With
    ... I have lost my file association for PDF and can't seem to get Acrobat Reader ... had a computer crash today and had to revert back to a prior working version ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)
  • Re: Cannot associate PDF files with Acrobat Reader
    ... register the "AcroRd32.exe" with the open-with dialog once. ... Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User] ... I have a user who all of a sudden cannot open PDF files. ... I right-clicked on the file and chose "Open With", but Acrobat Reader was ...
  • [Full-Disclosure] Re: Adobe acrobat / Adobe Reader 6 can read local files
    ... I have Acrobat Reader configured to NOT run Javascript. ... embedded SWF exploit to work? ... > Acrobat/ Acrobat reader is software for viewing and printing Adobe Portable ... Adobe PDF files can be viewed on most major ...
    (Full-Disclosure)
  • Re: [opensuse] Re: The new openSUSE community representative
    ... mobile devices mainly because acrobat reader seems to try to load the ... settling on a reasonable format and pdf is not it. ... The MobiPocket Reader is free but *not* opensource, ...
    (SuSE)