Re: Bite the bullet-Reinstall XP PRO

Ron Martell wrote:
mogur2 <mogur2@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I have decided to bite the bullet and reinstall XP Pro.

I have both, the XP PRO CD, & the SP2 CD. I am presuming that after
I install XP Pro, then SP2, I can just go to the MS website to
download/install all the latest patches.

Is there a way to download all current patches to burn to a CD
before the reformat?

What other procedures will make this as painless as possible?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Warm Regards,
Mogur2
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If you have a CD burner then you can create a new Windows XP Pro
install CD with SP2 slipstreamed into it.

There are a number of ways to create a slipstreamed CD. I use nLite
(free) from http://www.nliteos.com

nLite also has the ability to incorporate the post-SP2 patches into
the new CD. You can download these from
http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/catalog/en/default.asp
Make sure you check the catalog listings for both "Windows XP
Professional SP2" and for "Windows XP SP2". You will also probably
want to eliminate many of the language versions of the same updates.

Good luck

Nice! I'd like to try this, but with the corporate version that I have the
CD isn't self booting, and I have to go through the six disk shuffle with
the floppies. Is there a way to make the CD bootable as well?

Steve Frank

  • Re: SP2 download?
    ... > needed, install everything, before exposing the PC to the wild. ... Slipstream SP2 into the XP CD and then install from it. ... Once you make your new CD and use it to clean install the machine - clean it ... using Windows XP "prettifications". ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)
  • Re: outlook express loses body of e-mails with SP2
    ... > I have tried three times to install sp2 and the same ... Cannot Open E-Mail Attachments in Outlook Express After You Install SP1 ... Turn off email scanning in your antivirus software. ... Windows 2000 and Windows XP. ...
  • RE: SBS 2003 SP2 fails to install
    ... Windows server 2003 sp2 on SBS and get error message. ... Please try to do clean boot on SBS and then install Windows server ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: bad_pool_header Blue Screen Upon Start Up
    ... SP2 and SP2 was downloaded. ... Microsoft Windows XP ... I attempted to install the application from the ... Welcome back to Symantec Online Technical Support. ...
  • Re: Windows update freezes computer
    ... Not sure exactly what the "tech" did in botching the SP2 installation, ... Have ordered the cd of SP2 and will install when received. ... Should I leave all those Hotfix files alone or should I remove them? ... or the Windows installation source files, and then replaces the incorrect file. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)