Re: Cannot associate PDF files with Acrobat Reader

Great that you verified acrobat 7 is working on the PC,

can you check what is her effective access to the acrobat and the exe?
should read, exec, list.

Sounds like your were doing all one should do.

Try this:
how about in your account, regedit, export
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\7.
then logout, login the user's account and try to improt the exported reg
file

What happens? If you are not allow to import, then you need to give the
user change permission on the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Acrobat
Reader\7.

"Jason" <Jason@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
I have a user who all of a sudden cannot open PDF files. I looked on her
computer and any PDF file just shows up as a Windows defualt file icon and
there was no file association set up for the PDF extension. I verified
that
Acrobat Reader 7.0 was installed.

I right-clicked on the file and chose "Open With", but Acrobat Reader was
not listed. I clicked on Browse and browsed out to the Acrobat Reader
executable, but after I selected it, Acrobat Reader never showed up in the
list of programs to use in opening the files.

I opened up Windows Explorer and went to Tools->Folder Options and then
clicked on File Types. I scrolled down to the PDF extension and it showed
no
program assigned to it. When I clicked on the Change button, it took me
the same "Open With" window and I still had the same issue of not being
able
to get Acrobat Reader to show up. Back on the File Types window I clicked
on
the Reset button, but it just associated PDF with Notepad.

I uninstalled Acrobat Reader and then reinstalled it, but I still had the
same issue. I noticed that if I logged in as myself, then the association
was correct, but not while logged in as her. Does her profile just need
be created? Also, if I opened Acrobat Reader and then went to File->Open
and
selected a PDF file, then it opened fine, but still did not allow me to
associate the PDF extension with Acrobat Reader. As far as I know,
nothing
was changed on this computer. It was working just the other day and now
it's
not. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jason

.