Re: Black Screen after splash, and slow after format...

Seth

Whenever you make extensive changes you need to run cleanup and run Disk Defragmenter.

You may wish to look at your settings for Internet Explorer. Not my strong suit. Security and Firewall settings can be very frustrating. What Firewall are you using. Have you tried Microsoft Anti-Spyware?

This may help. Go to Start, Control Panel, Internet Options, View, Advanced, scroll down and check the box before Empty Temporary Internet Files folder when Browser is closed.

How much RAM memory. Try Ctrl+Alt+Delete to bring Task Manager and
select the Performance Tab. What is the Commit Charge? What was the
Peak?

Your hard drive? Is it partitioned? How much free space on
each partition. How is the drive formatted -FAT32 or NTFS. To
get this information whilst in Windows Explorer place the cursor on the
drive, right click and select Properties.

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FCA

Using invalid email address

Stourport, Worcs, England
Enquire, plan and execute.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please tell the newsgroup how any
suggested solution worked for you.

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Seth" <Seth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:34C710A9-3BEF-4DDB-8376-256A265CF558@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Firstly, I wanted to say thanks for the time you are spending on helping me
with my computer troubles. I know your time is extremely valuable and I just
wanted to mention my appreciation for the assistance you are providing.

I just finished a brand new format of the computer when I posted those
errors. I am now in the process of downloading the latest updates so that
would probably explain why Windows Messenger is so old. So far, the computer
is acting fine except it is very slow and blippy when scrolling through any
explorer screens or Internet pages.

I opened up the drivers and so far every one on here is "OK".

"Gerry Cornell" wrote:

Seth

I am not sure whether these Error Reports are implicated in your main
problem.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: DCOM

This relates to the Imapi Service ( CD Burning ), What CD software and
version do you have or had installed?

Select Start, Administrative Tools, Services, Imapi? What  appears as
the StartUp Type? Recommended setting is Manual.
http://www.theeldergeek.com/imapi_cd-burning_com_service.htm

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: W32Time

Safely ignored.

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: Event System
Event Category: (52)
Event ID: 4354

What version of Windows Messenger is installed? Open Windows Messenger
and select Help, About Windows Messenger and you will see the required
information.

Your problem could be related to drivers.

Select, All Programmes, Accessories, System Tools, System Information,
Software Environment, System Drivers. Please provide the names of any
drivers where the Status is anything other than OK. The Status column
may be off screen off to the right so you may have to Scroll to see it.
You can reduce the widths of columns by dragging.

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

> [...]
>> resembling two
>> pages. Double click the button and close Event Viewer. Now start >> your
>> message
>> (email) and do a paste into the body of the message. This will >> paste
>> the
>> info from the
>> Event Viewer Error Report complete with links into the message. >> Make
>> sure this is
>> the first paste after exiting from Event Viewer.
>>
>> Try Ctrl+Alt+Delete to bring Task Manager and
>> select the Performance Tab. What is the Commit Charge? What was >> the
>> Peak?
>>
>> Your hard drive? Is it partitioned? How much free space on
>> each partition. How is the drive formatted -FAT32 or NTFS. To
>> get this information whilst in Windows Explorer place the cursor >> on
>> the
>> drive, right click and select Properties.
>>
>> Try Start, All Programmes, Accessories, System Tools, Disk CleanUp >> to
>> Empty your Recycle Bin and Remove Temporary Internet Files. Run >> Disk
>> Defragmenter by selecting Start, All Programs, Accessories, System
>> Tools, Disk Defragmenter.
>>
>> -- >>
>>
>> Hope this helps.
>>
>> Gerry
>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>> FCA
>>
>> Using invalid email address
>>
>> Stourport, Worcs, England
>> Enquire, plan and execute.
>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>> Please tell the newsgroup how any
>> suggested solution worked for you.
>>
>> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>>
>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>>
>> "Seth" <Seth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> >I keep having the same problem... My computer worked perfect for >> >at
>> >least 6
>> > months untill one day my HD just bit the dust.. so I put a new >> > HD
>> > in a
>> > installed Windows XP... and ever since then, the whole thing is
>> > really
>> > slow... like, when I scroll through my files on my computer, its
>> > blippy, or a
>> > web page.
>> >
>> > But that isnt all... after I get all the updates downloaded... >> > and
>> > usually a
>> > couple days, I will turn my PC on to either
>> > A: Windows splash screen then my desktop background and mouse >> > but
>> > nothing
>> > else loads for 5-20minutes.
>> > B: Windows spash screen then a black screen and nothing happens.
>> >
>> > This keep happening. I have messed with mjy drivers, and my >> > video
>> > accelertion, and this is the 5th time I have formatted and
>> > reinstalled
>> > Windows!
>> >
>> > I have a ASUS A7V8X-X Motherboard
>> > AOpen MX4000-DV128 Geforce MX4000 128MB DDR AGP 4X/8X Video Card
>> > AMD Athlon XP 2700+
>> > pqi POWER Series 512MB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM
>> > and a 20GB HD that was harvested from a another computer that >> > was

  • Re: Problem with slower startup of XP windows SP3
    ... Event Viewer reports renders interpretation infinitely more difficult. ... see Help and Support Center at ... "Event Viewer in windows: ... Log on as an user with administrative rights and open Internet Explorer ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: CPU useage
    ... tool for investigating CPU usage is Process Explorer. ... Also with regard to Internet Explorer do you have lots of windows / ... You can access Event Viewer by selecting Start, ...
  • =?iso-8859-1?q?[Solved]_Sicherheitsmeldung_beim_=F6ffnen_von_z=2EB=2E_Zip-Dateien_auf_ei
    ... Windows XP Pro Sp1 / IE7. ... Ich finde das sowas von irritierend (Internet Explorer? ... Intranet will. ...
    (microsoft.public.de.german.windowsxp.sonstiges)
  • Re: Very Slow loading Microsoft Help Files
    ... Start, Control Panel, Internet Options, General, Delete Cookies. ... Slow performance resulting from insufficient memory, causing over reliance on virtual memory, ... may be especially noticed by those upgrading to Windows XP from an earlier version of Windows. ... You can access Event Viewer by selecting Start, ...
  • Re: is it an operating system issue?
    ... "Terry R." ... windows media player, microsoft word, excel, yahoo messenger, msn messenger ... internet explorer, control panel, my ... Open ONE copy of Internet Explorer. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)