RE: Problems Printing After XP Upgrade from 98SE

Hi Jeff,

I am sorry to hear that the problem re-occurs after you clean the queue of
print jobs.

Reviewing your original post, I notice you are using a shared printer. At
this point, please help me double-confirm the following information:

1. What is the exact OS system that connected to the printer directly?

2. Can you print any local print jobs correctly in the system which
connected to the printer directly?

3. Does the issue occur on only one Windows XP client or all other Windows
XP clients?

4. To isolate the DOS application influence, please help me confirm if you
can print any documents from other applications correctly (i.e. Word,
Excel, and Notepad).

5. If possible, I also suggest you try the following suggestions to test:
1) Remove the printer to another machine to make a test.
2) Replace the printer with other printers to see if the issue also occurs
on other printers.

6. Use Clean Boot to eliminate third party interference
To isolate the influence of additional applications, please boot the system
into a Clean Boot environment to see whether this problem continues:

1. Unplug all the unnecessary devices, with only the keyboard, the mouse
left.
2. Click Start, click Run, type "msconfig" (without the quotation marks) in
the Open box, and then click OK.
3. In the Startup tab, click the "Disable All" button.
4. In the Services tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" checkbox,
and then click the "Disable All" button.
5. Click OK and restart your computer.

310560: How to troubleshoot by using the System Configuration utility in
Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310560

For more detailed troubleshooting steps, please refer to the articles:
314085: Troubleshooting general printing problems in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314085

314073: How to troubleshoot network printing problems in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314073

If you have any update or results, please feel free to post back.

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Partner Support

--------------------
> [...]
| it works for a while and then goes nuts.
|
| I hope this clarifies exactly what's happening.
|
| Thanks
|
| --
| JE
|

| "Ken Zhao [MSFT]" wrote:
|
| > Hi Jeff,
| >
| > Thank you for using newsgroup!
| >
| > First, I want to appreciate all valuable input above. Thanks!
| >
| > For your issue, based on my research, by default, most MS-DOS-based
| > programs print directly to either the LPT1 port or to the LPT2 port.
| > However, the output is not automatically routed across a redirector to
| > print share unless you use one of the following methods.
| >
| > Method 1 (Ortega has mentioned)
| > ===============
| > Use the net.exe command to establish a persistent connection. To do
this,
| > use the following syntax at a command prompt
| > net use lptx \\printserver\sharename /persistent:yes
| > where x is the number of the printer port that you want to map, where
| > printserver is the print server that is sharing the printer, and where
| > sharename is the name of the printer share.
| >
| > For example, to map LPT1 to a printer shared as Laser1 on a print
server
| > that is named Pserver, follow these steps:
| > 1. Click Start, and then click Run.
| > 2. In the Open box, type cmd, and then click OK.
| > 3. Type net use lpt1 \\pserver\laser1 /persistent:yes, and then press
| > ENTER.
| > 4. To quit the command prompt, type exit, and then press ENTER.
| > Note: In Windows XP, non-administrative users cannot map an LPT port to
| > network printer path when the LPT port exists on the computer as a
physical
| > parallel port.
| > 313644: Non-administrators cannot remap an LPT port to a network printer
| > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313644/
| >
| > Method 2
| > ===============
| > Print directly to the printer share by using the following syntax at a
| > command prompt
| > print /d:\\printserver\sharenamedrive:\path\filename
| > where printserver is the print server sharing the printer, where
sharename
| > is the name of the printer share, and where drive:, path, and filename
make
| > up the complete path of the document that you want to print.
| >
| > For example, to print a document that is named letter.doc from the root
| > directory of drive C to a printer shared as Laser1 on a print server
that
| > is named Pserver, follow these steps:
| > 1. Click Start, and then click Run.
| > 2. In the Open box, type cmd, and then click OK.
| > 3. Type print /d:\\pserver\laser1 c:\letter.doc, and then press ENTER.
| >
| > The following command-line message appears:
| > C:\letter.doc is currently being printed
| > 4. To quit the command prompt, type exit, and then press ENTER.
| > Because Novell NetWare's CAPTURE command is not supported in Windows
XP,

https://partner.microsoft.com/US/technicalsupport/supportoverview/40010469
| > Others:
https://partner.microsoft.com/US/technicalsupport/supportoverview/

| > If you are outside the United States, please visit our International
| > Support page: http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx.
| > =====================================================
rights.

| > --------------------
| > | From: =?Utf-8?B?amU3Mzgz?= <Jeff7383@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
| > | Subject: RE: Problems Printing After XP Upgrade from 98SE
| > | Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 12:07:02 -0700
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
| > |
| > | Thanks, but it's a printer connected to LPT1: of the host machine.
| > | --
| > | JE
| > |
| > |