Re: Internet Connection Delays

Some articles
Long delay before files appear in My Computer in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;819017
You cannot create a network connection after you restore Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;329441

--
Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/
"denisedenise" <denisedenise@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> [...]
> checked. All of the boxes in the windows underneath are checked.
>
> 6. Start > Control Panel > System Properties > Advanced Tab > Advanced Tab
>> By default, the computer is set to "use a greater share of both processor
> time to run your programs" and "a greater share of memory to run your
> programs."
>
> 7. Start > Control Panel > System Properties > Advanced Tab > Data
> Execution Prevention Tab > Turn on DEP for essential Windows Programs and
> services only is checked.
>
> 8. Start > Control Panel > System Properties > Remote Tab > Allow Remote
> Assistance Invitations to be sent from this computer is checked.
>
> 9. Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management >
> Device Manager > Network Adapters > SiS 900 PCI Fast Ethernet Adaptor is
> present.
>
> 10. McAfee VirusScan was Installed, Uninstalled, and re-installed several
> times.
>
> 11. Turned off the modem, disconnected and reconnected all modem
> connections, restarted my computer, waited 10 seconds, turned modem on.
>
> 12. Start > Control Panel > Phone and Modem Options > Dialing Rules Tab >
> My Location is checked.
>
> 13. Start > Control Panel > Phone and Modem Options > Modems Tab > None
> Listed.
>
> 14. Start > Control Panel > Phone and Modem Options > Advanced Tab >
> Microsoft H.323 Telephony Service Provider is highlighted.
>
> 15. I have run numerous malicious virus and spyware programs several times
> a week, including: McAfee VirusScan, Yahoo Anti-Spy, SpyBot, Spyware
> Blaster, Microsoft Malicioius Antivirus Tool, McAfee Stinger, and SysClean
> and Trend in safe mode, and win_betaengdat (for DOS scan). All scans show no
> viruses, malware, tracking cookies, etc. I always get a clean bill of health.
>
> 16. I run defrag on both my hard drives at least once a week.
>
> 17. I run a complete chkdsk once every couple of weeks.
>
> 18. I check for updates for all the programs listed above at least once a
> week and I receive automatic notices that updates are available to be
> installed and are downloaded and installed immediately.
>
> 19. I empty my Cookies and Temporary Internet Folder prior to shutting down.
>
> 20. I run Disk Cleanup for both my hard drives prior to shutting down.
>
> 21. I have a 40 Gig C Drive of which 24.2 Gigs are free.
>
> 22. I have a partitioned 80 Gig F Drive of which approximately 16 Gigs are
> free.
>
> As you can see, my efforts have been enormous for this small problem of
> having to wait 90 seconds prior to connecting to the internet after my
> computer has completely booted up. However, it never did it before I had my
> computer re-formatted and the reason for it is baffling.
>
> Are there any settings that can be changed or procedures performed so that
> the problem can be resolved? If you need additional info, please let me know.

  • Re: Any posted issues with Tablet PC and ActiveSync 4.1?
    ... When I right click the Windows Mobile-based device connection ... check to make sure it is allowing multiple network connections. ... If you are using Windows Firewall verify that "Don't allow exceptions" is ... The Tablet PCs work fine with ActiveSync. ...
    (microsoft.public.pocketpc.activesync)
  • Re: Lock icons
    ... in the network connections folder. ... The lock icon on a network connection means that the Windows Firewall ...
  • Re: Lock icons
    ... in the network connections folder. ... The lock icon on a network connection means that the Windows Firewall ...
  • Re: Changing primary routing device under XP
    ... routing device to the Wireless card so whenever the wireless card is plugged ... Windows XP uses the connection with the lowest associated metric ... Open the Network Connections folder. ...
  • Re: PPPoE
    ... The Windows driver README ... Installing the PPP over Ethernet Protocol ... Connection Sharing, ...
    (freebsd-net)