Re: IE6 and slow domain resolution

Hi FT;

Another thing to try is to locate your HOSTS file (no extension). It will be
in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC . The Hosts file contains the mappings
of IP addresses to host names. This file is loaded into memory at startup,
then Windows checks the Hosts file before it queries any DNS servers, which
enables it to override addresses in the DNS. This prevents access to the
listed sites by redirecting any connection attempts back to the local machine.

Add .txt to the file name and open it up. check the entries and see if it is
blocking your DNS server, or if it is extensively long (could cause slow dns
resolution)
I actually removed everything and left the HOSTS file with the .txt
extension and had no problems.

TJWB

"ft" wrote:

> Hi TJWB,
> Nope. No router. I have the cable modem directly linked into the NIC
> on this box. There is a hub connected to this same box via a second
> NIC, but I've unplugged that and still get the same result. As noted
> in my original message, I have indeed tried using actual DNS server
> addresses instead of the "Find DNS Server Automatically" setting.
> Still get the same 7-10 second delay with IE6.
> Any other ideas would be most appreciated.
> Thxs.
>

> On Fri, 1 Apr 2005 11:35:03 -0800, "TJWB"
> <TJWB@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> >Hi ft;
> >
> >Are you using a router?
> >
> >I was experiencing similar problems. An exhaustive search led me to a
> >solution, though not 100%. I was getting very slow DNS resolution, to the
> >point that often pages were not loading at all. I entered the DNS servers
> >manually and that seems to solve the problem 90% of the time. Occasionally it
>

> >> Bring up Internet Explorer6 and type in a web site; any website and
> >> there is exactly a 7 second delay before the site is resolved into its
> >> IP address. Once that happens, my speedy cable modem brings up the
> >> page with no problems.
> >> This same problem is seen with the latest version of the Opera
> >> browser.
> >> However, if I load up FireFox browser (either version 1.0 or version
> >> 1.1) or even the old Netscape Communicator browser version 4.7, and
> >> type in the same site, there is vitually no delay at all and the page
> >> is on my screen in less then 1 second.
> >> BUT, if I type in the site as its actual numerical IP address,
> >> however, instead of its name, then Internet Explorer brings it to the
> >> screen in about 1 sec. The 7 second delay is gone.
> >>
> >> This seems to indicate that something is causing IE6 to experience a 7
> >> second delay getting the information either to, or from, the DNS
> >> server. But whatever is causing this, seems to have no effect on the
> >> Firefox or Netscape Communicator browser.
> >>
> >> The last piece to this puzzle is that my other computer (a P3 with
> >> 512MB RAM), also running Windows XP SP2, does NOT show this 7 second
> >> delay with IE6!
> >>
> >> I've tried opening a Command Prompt and typing: ipconfig/flushdns,
> >> but this has had no effect on the problem noted above.
> >>
> >> I've uninstalled and reinstalled Internet Explorer but still the same
> >> problem persists.
> >>
> >> I've changed the settings in TCP/IP for the adapter from automatically
> >> getting the DNS server, to actual DNS server addresses but this has
> >> done nothing to solve this issue.
> >>
> >> I've dozens of spyware detectors; virus checkers and HijackThis.
> >> nothing shows up.
> >>
> >> Can anyone help me with this situation?
> >> Has anyone else experienced this? It would not seem to be a SP2
> >> problem since, as noted, my other machine is running SP2 and this
> >> oddity is not there.
> >>
> >> Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
> [...]

  • Re: Hosts file ignored
    ... >> any of the entries I have made to the server's hosts file. ... >> I have verified that the DataBasePath registry key at ... >> I am not running a DNS server on my system. ... >> I can ping IP addresses without any problem, both on the LAN and on ...
  • Re: Spyware blocking with HOSTS file on DNS server
    ... Spyware blocking with HOSTS file on DNS server ... > names in HOSTS file format that resolve them to loopback. ... Instead our proxy server performs all name ... > lists that are well maintained. ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: Dangerous Internet Security Problem
    ... Here's the message I get back from a check of my Comcast DNS server: ... your computer directs domain address inquiries before going to the DNS ... If it finds the address in the HOSTS file it bypasses the DNS ... Here's where you can download a ready made HOSTS file. ...
    (soc.retirement)
  • Re: Dangerous Internet Security Problem
    ... Here's the message I get back from a check of my Comcast DNS server: ... your computer directs domain address inquiries before going to the DNS ... If it finds the address in the HOSTS file it bypasses the DNS ... Here's where you can download a ready made HOSTS file. ...
    (soc.retirement)
  • Re: IE6 and slow domain resolution
    ... I have the cable modem directly linked into the NIC ... addresses instead of the "Find DNS Server Automatically" setting. ... Still get the same 7-10 second delay with IE6. ... >> Firefox or Netscape Communicator browser. ...