Re: DOH!

From: WinGuy (no_spam_at_nomail.bot)
Date: 06/28/04

Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 03:24:57 GMT

"Ben" <Ben@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:E320C6F6-A5A8-489E-8E1D-24E63F72A396@microsoft.com...
> Check that, yahoo didn't install a version of gator, (reinstalled pager
to verify). So yahoo isn't completely a b***ard. (aside from adding things
I didn't request, but that's hardly surprising :) If anyone ever figures
out the searchurl problem let me know. Unfortunately the dance didn't work
this time.

> "Ben" wrote:
>
> > Odd problem that keeps popping up every so often. Internet explorer
stops reading my searchurl registry keys. For example I have a key called
yahoo that goes to http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=%s . Now if I open a
window and go to yahoo +test it actually tries to open the bloody website:
"yahoo +test" I've removed the registry keys, readded the registry keys,
and rebooted in between with no success. I've even added/removed the keys
using an automated program of sorts called AcuteSearch. Running xp pro,
just updated yahoo pager which broke the searchurl keys, AND installed a
form of gator. Gator has been nuked with adaware, the searchurl keys still
aren't working. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know, if
memory served last time this happened I had to remove the keys, do a witch
doctor dance, reboot twice, then re add the keys. Off to brush up on my
druming.

> > Cheers.
> >
> > Ben

Try putting things back to default installation values and go from there:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main]

"Use Search Asst"="yes"

"Search Page"="http://home.microsoft.com/access/allinone.asp"

"Search Bar"="http://home.microsoft.com/search/lobby/search.asp"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchURL]

""="http://home.microsoft.com/access/autosearch.asp?p=%s"

"provider"=""

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search]

"SearchAssistant"="http://ie.search.msn.com/{SUB_RFC1766}/srchasst/srchasst.
htm"