Re: An Excellent XP Recovery Guide

From: Hemlock tree (Hemlock_at_trees.org)
Date: 02/15/04

Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 15:42:42 -0500

You asked

I told you SPAM. Its still spam.

If you don't want to know don't ask.

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 14:55:29 -0500, "Paul Moat" <pmoat@optonline.com>
wrote:

>spam??...what the heck are you talking about? Here's the text from the site
>spamboy. I hope people who need help disregard your uninformed opinions.
>
>PC users, you all know what it is: That dreaded Blue Screen of Death. That's
>right, the BSOD. You've installed a seemingly innocent application,
>restarted your computer, and suddenly you see this horror in front of your
>eyes: A big blue screen with some cryptic message on it. Try restarting
>again, same thing. You're dead. What will you do? What WILL you do?? Well,
>don't let it ruin your day. Remain calm. If you're using Windows XP, I can
>help you fix it. Come with me, down into the bowels of Windows XP, where
>only the high priests go. It'll be fun!
>
>I'm going to show you how to bring your computer back to life, and restore
>it to the point where things went south. You might want to print this
>article and squirrel it away for that fateful day when this happens to you.
>Or if you don't want to print it (and who prints anything these days,
>anyway?), and you get a big ugly blue screen, just get on another computer
>somewhere and come back to this Web page for comfort and advice. I can get
>you out of this mess. I know, because I was in the same mess and I got
>myself out of it.
>
>Here's what to do: First, get the Windows XP CD you used to install your
>operating system. By the way, this routine only works with Windows XP,
>either Professional or XP Home Edition. If you don't have a bootable XP CD,
>get one and have it with you at all times, because you never know when the
>dreaded BSOD might strike.
>
>But before you do anything with that CD, try restarting your computer again.
>Sometimes, for some odd reason, this works. Usually not, though. If you've
>tried that and everything else you can think of, and you can't even boot
>into Safe Mode, this is the mission for you.
>
>Put the XP CD in the drive, and restart. When it says "press any key to boot
>from CD," go ahead, press any key and you're on your way to recovery. The
>Recovery Console, that is. If it doesn't give you a choice to boot from your
>CD drive, go into your computer's BIOS and make the adjustment for it to
>boot from CD. PCs brands and motherboards are too diverse for me to give you
>specifics on this, so follow the prompts and you can make that CD boot
>happen without too much trouble. Look at your screen when it boots up, and
>it always says "hit DEL for BIOS settings" or something similar. If you
>can't get it to boot from CD, just give up and call for support or take your
>computer to the nearest computer store for professional help.
>
>OK, troops, are you still with me? Good. It'll look like you're
>re-installing Windows XP, but don't worry, you're not. This is just a screen
>showing you that your computer is loading enough files from the CD to
>actually do something, anything but that awful blue screen. Now when you see
> [...]

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Last known good configuration
    ... >> from registry problems in Windows XP Home Editon? ... and you'll load the Recovery Console ... > appropriate windows folder if it's at a different location. ... Type the whole command in one line, ...
  • Re: Recovering W2K via the repair folder
    ... previous Registry) IF you're FAT32 OR have a DOS startup disk with NTFS ... after which you can do a normal ERDNT restore. ... inside your Windows or Winnt folder, you can restore at a Recovery Console ... Here's a bit more info about the Recovery Console approach using Erdnt: ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.general)
  • Re: An Excellent XP Recovery Guide
    ... If you're using Windows XP, ... >>tried that and everything else you can think of, and you can't even boot ... I'm going to show you how to restore your system to the way it ... On the Tools menu, click Folder options. ...
  • Re: Text of KB Article Included - From error to missing system file
    ... This article describes how to recover a Windows XP system that does not start because of corruption in the registry. ... If you use the procedure that is described in this article, you may not be able to log back into the recovery console to restore the original registry hives. ... In part one, you start the Recovery Console, create a temporary folder, back up the existing registry files to a new location, delete the registry files at their existing location, and then copy the registry files from the repair folder to the System32\Config folder. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Creating space on C:
    ... On the basis that your C partition contains your Windows operating ... system you can turn off System Restore on your D, E, and F partitions. ... Uninstall folders in your Windows folder typically: ...