Re: Why doesn't my laptop hibernate or standby when on AC power?

On Tue, 07 Dec 2010 09:47:52 -0500, Yousuf Khan wrote:

On 12/6/2010 9:01 PM, Stefan Patric wrote:
On Mon, 06 Dec 2010 18:34:02 -0500, Yousuf Khan wrote:
Well, as I said, it works while on battery power, DC. Just not in AC.

You said it was an old laptop. Maybe, it's not capable of suspend and
hibernated when using AC, but only when on battery. Check the user
manual.

Stef

Who would design a laptop like that? Anyways, you can manually hibernate
or standby in AC mode, I'm talking about the automatic power-management
based method.

Who can say who? There's more that goes into the design of any product
than what might be useful or even make sense.

I have an old notebook (Thinkpad 240X. Yes, I still regularly use it.)
that doesn't boot off USB or anything attached to USB like a CDROM. Will
only boot off an external floppy or internal hard drive. Makes it
difficult (but not impossible) to put an OS on it or repair the one on it
if it goes bad. But that's another story . . . Back to your problem.

What's the make and model of your laptop? The specs? What OS originally
came on it? How long has the current OS been installed on it? Is it
fully updated? Have you checked the viability of the hardware and OS
recently?

Since your laptop will manually suspend and hibernate, and assuming all
the power settings are properly set, I would see if you can set it to
suspend on AC when you close the lid. I know you said you don't ever do
this, but this a test that doesn't use the keyboard to initiate it. If
it works, try hibernate, too. And check that the system "returns"
properly afterwards. If it doesn't do either, consider a Repair Install.

Stef

  • Re: suspend / hibernate
    ... very high system load. ... Slight thread hijack but the problem I have is that hibernate works ... and I am able to recover on restart but suspend shuts down but does ... On HP-TX1000 laptop right now the kernel is 2.6.24-19-generic on ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: how to debug broken hibernate?
    ... I just installed Dapper on an Acer Aspire 5500Z ... Suspend works fine, but alas hibernate does not; ... various lights on the laptop turn off. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • hibernate/suspend problems
    ... I installed f10 on my laptop. ... hibernate works quite badly: very long time to hibernate, ... suspend does not work at all: suspend, yes, then no possibility to ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: switching xorg.conf configurations?
    ... x driver, but my laptop will neither suspend nor hibernate when they're ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: The death of Hibernate?
    ... But, as far as which is faster, I have 1G of RAM. ... Boot time is not what I want to do on the train. ... Enough that I can suspend, ... which would save huge time on hibernate and restore, ...
    (Fedora)