Re: Problem installing hardware

"Sandy Bartlet" <bartlets@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:uZ%23WpXRwIHA.5096@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I cannot install my IEEE 1394 controller or a 5-button MS USB Intelli-mouse
optical or an HP Laserjet 1100 printer. The hardware is detected and
properly identified but the driver install ends with:

There is a problem installing this hardware:
IEEE 1394 Controller
An error occurred during the installation of the device
The data is invalid

I get the same error for the mouse. For the printer I get:

Printer driver was not installed. Operation could not be completed.

I am running Windows XP SP3 with all updates installed (same problem when
it was SP2). Uninstalling and re-installing does not help.

Any ideas?

Thanks...

Know it sounds not applicable to recent hardware, but, it can happen in some
cases. Try working at the bios level in the bios setup. For instance, if
you don't have onboard LAN or a LAN card, use the hardware irq 3 for
firewire. USB is similar, but harder to track down which hardware irq to
use as you probably have more than one USB controller. You have to figure
out which is being used by the mouse and printer you're having problems
with. Your bios setup has to have the ability to assign an irq to a PCI
slot for this to work for the firewire card. Otherwise, you may have to
play "musical chairs" with the other cards for the working combo. If you
can get the firewire working this way, I'll get back with you if you have
multiple USB controllers.
--
Dave

.