Problem installing hardware

I cannot install my IEEE 1394 controller or a 5-button MS USB Intelli-mouse optical or an HP Laserjet 1100 printer. The hardware is detected and properly identified but the driver install ends with:

There is a problem installing this hardware:
IEEE 1394 Controller
An error occurred during the installation of the device
The data is invalid

I get the same error for the mouse. For the printer I get:

Printer driver was not installed. Operation could not be completed.

I am running Windows XP SP3 with all updates installed (same problem when it was SP2). Uninstalling and re-installing does not help.

Any ideas?

Thanks...
.