Problem installing hardware

I cannot install my IEEE 1394 controller or a 5-button MS USB Intelli-mouse optical or an HP Laserjet 1100 printer. The hardware is detected and properly identified but the driver install ends with:

There is a problem installing this hardware:
IEEE 1394 Controller
An error occurred during the installation of the device
The data is invalid

I get the same error for the mouse. For the printer I get:

Printer driver was not installed. Operation could not be completed.

I am running Windows XP SP3 with all updates installed (same problem when it was SP2). Uninstalling and re-installing does not help.

Any ideas?

Thanks...

  • Re: IDE Channels Not Working, Causes Optical Drive Not to Function
    ... on a whim I tried Update Driver off the right-clcik menu for the channel ... Have you tried using the Add Hardware Wiz to manually locate a driver in the ... IDE/ATA/ATAPI controllers, next, choose your controller to install or the ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
  • Re: No Hard Drive Found
    ... > were successfully written to disk. ... > to wonder why Suse 8.2 will not install. ... what disk controller do you have? ... Please list your hardware. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: memory
    ... > indicates I only have 19 K of physical memory. ... Download, install and run Belarc Advisor. ... Summarize the hardware (not the software section - that gives away ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)
  • TuxOS (Debian-Based)
    ... separate matter, whereupon the hardware detection ... tools (Linux, Windows, DOS, whatever) meant specifically ... or Debian or TuxOS. ... For a distro that wants to install ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: Service Pack 2
    ... Should have edited the output to stop at the hardware. ... I do not see anything there preventing you from running SP2. ... After you have the latest hardware drivers, ... BEFORE you install. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)