Re: Chkdsk ? Compaq Presario XP_Home_sp2

"philo" <philo@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

"Andrew E." <eckrichco@xxxxxxx> wrote in message
Try clearing the CMOS,if the hd errors remaine no matter which hd is
used,then the fault(s) are probably in the controller.Try switching the
IDE
connection to the hd,also,open event viewer for errors/warnings (try
1st),
a corrupted controller will run off and on for awhile,but should show
problems
in event viewer 1st.

Thanks for the reply...
I did look in event viewer and found nothing out of the ordinary.

I suppose the controller on the mobo could be bad and I could possibly try
the 2nd channel or add a PCI controller...
the thing is that there has *never* been an error when running chkdsk /f.

Errors are *only* seen when running chkdsk in the audit-only mode from
within the OS

As I expected the current system will not boot from an add-in PCI controller
nor from the 2nd IDE channel...
so I'm now performing a fresh install using a PCI controller ...
I'll post back with the results when I'm done

  • Re: Chkdsk ? Compaq Presario XP_Home_sp2
    ... used,then the faultare probably in the controller.Try switching the ... IDE ... I did look in event viewer and found nothing out of the ordinary. ... the thing is that there has *never* been an error when running chkdsk /f. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
  • Re: Help with setting up CD Roms
    ... Use the PCI Controller Card for the hard drives. ... IDE Cd Roms ... I have a PCI Controller which will take at least 2 IDEs. ... Cdroms on Secondary as Master and Slave ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: WTB: SATA controller card and smallish SATA HDD
    ... I don't think thres much gain in speed over an IDE when using a PCI controller and you get the inevitable start-up driver issues. ... It now turns out I need a SCSI ultra-wide LVD cable, ...
    (uk.adverts.computer)
  • Re: What Causes This?
    ... if you connect your hard disk with a cd rom drive together to the primary ... ide cable. ... plug the hard disk to the primary ide and plug the cd to ... >> You can open the Event Viewer to read the log. ...