Mouse problem - Optical mouse with PS/2 - USB connector won't work

I've tried searching the boards to see if this has been addressed
before but can't find the help I need.

I was using an optical mouse with just the PS/2 connector for about a
year and didn't have any problems. Eventually, it would "skip" past a
few pages when I was going back to a previous page on the Inernet so
replaced it with another optical mouse, this time with a USB to PS/2
adapter. Everything was fine for a few days and then when I booted up
the arrow wouldn't move - it would just sit there in the middle of
the
screen no matter how much I moved the mouse. The previous optical
mouse had a red light on when I used it, the new one didn't - at
least
when I checked after it wasn't working.

I brought a mouse home from work, again with the USB to PS/2 adapter,
brand new, and it wouldn't work either.

I've got a mouse with the roller ball connected now - with just the
PS/
2 connector - and it's working fine.

I was thinking it must be something to do with the adapter, but it
did
work for awhile.

Has anyone had similar problems and found the answer? Any help is
much
appreciated. Thank you.

I have a Dell with Windows XP Home Edition - just in case that's
important.

  • Re: USB to PS2 converter
    ... optical mouse, with all its electronics, but substituting the cable/cord ... mouse itself--but a PS2 connector to the computer. ... Could it be that the Belkin adapter is really a connector? ... You cannot change a USB-only mouse to support PS/2 simply by changing ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
  • Re: Mouse problem - Optical mouse with PS/2 - USB connector wont work
    ... PS-2 Connector. ... It does sound like the USB ... replaced it with another optical mouse, this time with a USB to PS/2 ... I brought a mouse home from work, again with the USB to PS/2 adapter, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
  • Re: PS/2 to USB
    ... Well now, I happen to prefer the old IBM keyboards as well, and I'm currently typing on one right now which is connected to my XPS410 using a Belkin Dual PS/2 to USB adapter shown here. ... about what it sees for a keyboard. ... connector. ...
    (alt.sys.pc-clone.dell)
  • Re: USB connected HDs
    ... the USB adapter to ... the USB 2 ports on a PC running XP SP2. ... HDs I own and with USB flash drives. ... the auxiliary power supply connector. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: USB connected HDs
    ... connected the included external power adapter to the HD and the USB ... HDs I own and with USB flash drives. ... the auxiliary power supply connector. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)